Rod Carew receives new heart from passed NFL player

Rod Carew, a member of the baseball hall of fame received a heart transplant from Konrad Reuland, a former NFL tight end. Konrad passed when he suffered a fatal brain aneurysm. Reuland's mom told NBC that Konrad always wanted to help others and in April of 2016 he decided to be an organ donor. After the aneurysm was discovered Konrad had a 17-hour surgery and never came out of his coma. Due to Konrad's life saving gift, the Carew and Reuland families have become close. When Mary Reuland (Konrad's mom) left him for the last time, she told the doctors she hoped that whoever gets Konrad's heart better deserve the great heart he had. Konrad's mother was thankful for Rod because she got a chance to hear her sons heartbeat again.

Are you an organ donor?

If you were Konrad's mom how would you feel about the situation?

My Opinion- 

I am a organ donor, because you never know who's life you could be saving. If I was Konrad's mom, I would feel extremely thankful for the doctors that saved her sons heart so she could still have a part of her son still living, and also to have Carew receiving a good hear that he deserves. 

Link for more info!

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well done! Be sure to capitalize word in your title.

• I am currently not an organ donor; however, that will actually be changing soon. I would have felt grateful that my son could always help and save others! In my opinion, organ donation is a wonderful thing! 

• Its something good to sign up for and it would be amazing to have your son save someones life by simply being signed up. Also as a mother it would feel good to help another family out.

• Yes- I am an organ donor because I have a cousin who's life was saved because of a stem cell transplant.

I would be extremely thankful to the doctors and the donor who was brave enough to help even after death.

• I agree I would be also very thankful for the doctors because nothing would be the same without them.  Thats awesome your cousin was able to be saved by someone that was an organ donor!

• Personally yes I am a Organ donor. If I was Konrads mom I would be very nervous about my son going into such a long surgery and how man ycomplications he could have. But in the end I would just want to see my son again.

• Yes , it would be very hard to go through that seeing your son go. It would also be very stressful during surgery, not knowing if you will see you son again. It can be hard on a family to go through something like this.

• I am a organ doner because if i can help anybody i want to. i would ask to hear his heart beat, and i would probibly cry a little bit. and i would want to be as close with him and his family as i could

• I agree that it would be very emotional to hear that heartbeat again. I also think getting close to the family you helped would be good because its like your son is gone but still kinda there. 

• I'm not an organ donor since I don't know where to sign up for it and nor do I think I can. If i was Konrad's mom I honestly wouldn't know how to feel in this situation whether to be sad that Konrad died or happy that Konrad's heart has saved another's life.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker