Rod Carew receives new heart from passed NFL player

Rod Carew, a member of the baseball hall of fame received a heart transplant from Konrad Reuland, a former NFL tight end. Konrad passed when he suffered a fatal brain aneurysm. Reuland's mom told NBC that Konrad always wanted to help others and in April of 2016 he decided to be an organ donor. After the aneurysm was discovered Konrad had a 17-hour surgery and never came out of his coma. Due to Konrad's life saving gift, the Carew and Reuland families have become close. When Mary Reuland (Konrad's mom) left him for the last time, she told the doctors she hoped that whoever gets Konrad's heart better deserve the great heart he had. Konrad's mother was thankful for Rod because she got a chance to hear her sons heartbeat again.

Are you an organ donor?

If you were Konrad's mom how would you feel about the situation?

My Opinion- 

I am a organ donor, because you never know who's life you could be saving. If I was Konrad's mom, I would feel extremely thankful for the doctors that saved her sons heart so she could still have a part of her son still living, and also to have Carew receiving a good hear that he deserves. 

Link for more info!

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Its something good to think about, and I think I would be the same with mixed emotions about my son being gone. Also its great that his heart still has life, it can feel really good as a family to hear that heartbeat still. 

• I am not an organ donor but i would also like to become one. If i were Konrad's mom I would feel very happy that my son who had passed away could save a persons life especially if it was a famous person. This is a great thing and if more people could donate we may be able to save more lives. 

• I agree that your son was able to save someones life would be an honor with him being gone but still kinda living.  Also yes its great just to be signed up as an organ donor because you never know when you could save a life. 

• I am an organ donor and if I was in his moms situation I would be extremely grateful because this gift saved my kids life and would allow him to continue doing what he loves. I believe everyone gets a second chance and because of this ex-NFL player he got another chance himself. 

• I agree its a gift to have your son helping someone else that can continue they love and passion. Giving his heart to someone else means he is still there and its his heartbeat living, as family that would be a great feeling. 

• I am an organ donor and would always give up something for other people. I would feel happy that it was a match and that his heart was still living in someones else body. He is still a living legend that had the heart for a different sport now.

• It is great that the found a match and now his heart is still living! Its also great his heart can still continue to be active in a different sport but still live on in a differnt persons body. 

• I'm not an organ donor, but I would like to become one so that I could have the possibility to save someones life. If I were Konrad's mom I would be so grateful that my son's heart could be used to save someone else life and I feel like I would have a special connection with Rod Carew.

• I agree its a great thing to be a donor because you could always have that chance to save someone. Its also great that both families can could connect and have a special bond. 

• Yes I am, I think if my organs can be saved and save someone else's life then why wouldn't I want to do that? Of course, I'd be upset but I thin I would be proud that he would want to help someone else in such a courageous way.  

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker