Rod Carew receives new heart from passed NFL player

Rod Carew, a member of the baseball hall of fame received a heart transplant from Konrad Reuland, a former NFL tight end. Konrad passed when he suffered a fatal brain aneurysm. Reuland's mom told NBC that Konrad always wanted to help others and in April of 2016 he decided to be an organ donor. After the aneurysm was discovered Konrad had a 17-hour surgery and never came out of his coma. Due to Konrad's life saving gift, the Carew and Reuland families have become close. When Mary Reuland (Konrad's mom) left him for the last time, she told the doctors she hoped that whoever gets Konrad's heart better deserve the great heart he had. Konrad's mother was thankful for Rod because she got a chance to hear her sons heartbeat again.

Are you an organ donor?

If you were Konrad's mom how would you feel about the situation?

My Opinion- 

I am a organ donor, because you never know who's life you could be saving. If I was Konrad's mom, I would feel extremely thankful for the doctors that saved her sons heart so she could still have a part of her son still living, and also to have Carew receiving a good hear that he deserves. 

Link for more info!

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree its great to save someones life and I agree that it makes a parent proud to know they did that!

• Yes, I think its good to be one. That way, I can hopefully help others even when I am passed away. I would be upset that my son had passed away, but I would happy that he was able to help others.

• I agree it is very hard to loose your son but having the chance to help someones family is special!

• I am not yet but I plan to become one some point in the near future. I would feel good that my son saved another persons life but I would be very sad that my son died from such a spontaneous event. Definitely a great show of how organ donors save lives.  

• Thats ok not to be an organ donor yet because you can always decide to be one later in your life, and its good to see how being an organ donor can have such a big impact on someones life. 

• I am an organ donor. I believe that saving somebody else's life is the best gift to give. I would feel very happy that my son saved somebody else's life. I would also be thankful to hear his heartbeat again and knowing that he saved somebody else's life would bring relief and happiness to me.

• I agree, I would be very thankful to hear the heartbeat again. It would also be great to have my sons heart help someone else! As Konrads family it would be great seeing how much you helped a family in need of a heart.

• Yes, I am an organ donor. If I were the mom, it would be really hard to see my son go, but it would also be very rewarding to know that my son saved someone's life. It would be so amazing to hear his heart beating again, even if it would be in someone else's chest. If I had the opportunity to save a life with my heart or other organs, I would defiantly do it.

• I agree, it would be hard to have her son gone but being able to hear his heart beating is truly amazing. Also just having the chance to save someone is truly amazing with  how easy it is to sign up. 

• I have been an organ donor since i was born. My mom made me one as well as my siblings. If i was Konrad's mom i would be happy that someone is getting my sons heart and will get to live because of my son. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker