Pros and cons on semester tests

The first semester test became a thing in the mid 1800s . Semester test are used for making sure students have learned what they should be learning. They are also used for measuring learning process, achievements and to evaluate the effectiveness of educational programs.Most schools are required for students to take semester tests. They use the records for the test to use scores on report cards.

Some pros of semester tests. First standarized tests offor objective  of education and a good metric to gauge areas for improvment. They also offer meaningful data to help students in marginalized groups. Secondly tests are usuful metrics for teacher evaluations. third of all standardized tests scores are good indicators of college and job success. Semester tests are only worth a small percentage of your grade so if a students are faling a class , the semester test could help get their grades up.

Cons on semester test. Firstly Standardized tests only determin which students are good at taking tests some dont offer meaningful measure of progress and have not improved some students. Secondly tests use unfair metrics for techer evaluations. Almost 16 states and DC have stopped using standardized tests in teacher evaluations. Third of all test scores are ot predictors of students future success. Final exams are easlily the most stressful part of school in both highschool and collage students. They can cause unnecessary anxiety for most students. The stress and feelings would be relieved if finals/semester tests were optional to students.

As you can see their are alot of pros and cons on semester tests. There is alot of positives and negitives on tests and how they affect students and their grades. I think that semester tests can and can not be useful for students. I think semester tests are good for knowning students ability and learning skills.

What do you think about semester tests?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that semester tests require a lot to remember and it might be hard for some students to study a whole semester. Furthermore, I think it is better to learn the single topics during the semester and take the tests than taking semester tests. For those who are struggling with their grade, there could be some other (voluntarily) options to upgrade your grade. 

• I think that semester tests are good to see where the kid is at but isnt that what normal tests are for and pretests? I think that they can be a waste of time putting more stress on the kid than normal. But if they are struggling with that class and they do good that can make their grade go up and hopefully help it.

• I think that for some semester tests can be hard. This can be because of a couple different reasons one of them is that they can black out when it comes to tests, so making it a semester test with so much information, it is even harder than a regular chapter test. One of the reasons that I think that they can be good is because if someone is struggle with their grade, their test score, if it is good, can help boost their grade. 

• I think that semester test can be a bother to most high shcool student and it might be hard to remember everything that was taught in that semsester. I think that there should be multiple review days and the test shouldnt be as hard becaue it is hard to retain everything thoughout the semester. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker