Pokemon Go-Playing Truck Driver Kills Woman in Japan

Japanese police had arrested 39 year old, farming suspect who had not been paying attention to the road and struck 2 older women playing the popular game Pokemon-Go. One of the two victims,  in which was in her early 70s, had died from a spinal injury while the other had been hospitalized with severe injury. Police stated that the suspect had been distracted by this game.

This has been the first ever case of death in Japan from someone playing this game.  There has been many other death cases that have resulted from playing this game also. 

Questions: 

1. Do you play Pokemon-Go? What is your favorite thing about it?

2. Why do you think this game is resulting in so many deaths? Why is it so distracting to drivers?

Link

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• No I don't play Pokemon go and I think it is resulting in so many deaths because it takes your focus away from say, walking or driving.. In the bigger cities I am sure they are everywhere 

• I had the game for maybe 15 minutes and it was not good. My friends play it and it sometimes distracts their driving. I think it is a dumb game and has caused a lot of problems. Playing pokemon is just like texting and driving but worse. 

• I agree with you about pokemon being so much worse than texting and driving. People don't realize how dangerous this is, they just continue doing it day after day. This has just become too big of a distraction. 

• I had it for a bit but it kills your battery so I don't really have a favorite thing about it. I think it results in so many deaths because people don't do smart things when they play it and walk out onto roads, some guy even fell off a cliff. I think it is distracting to drivers because they move around more so they see more Pokemon and try to catch them.

• I think it results in too many deaths also. I believe that this is more of a distraction than an exercise game. I truly think this game needs to end. 

• I had the app for about 5 minutes to see what the big deal was but I thought I could do something better with my time instead of wasting time on it. My favorite thing was probably knowing what people were talking about when they spoke about the app. This game has gotten out of hand and I think that its distracting people because they are escaping their own life to an alternate reality. Drivers are thinking about the game instead of focusing on the road which is a huge problem.

• I have the app, but I rarely play it. I don't like to waste my data and I forget to check for Pokemon when I am in public places. I think that people are getting distracted by it when they are driving and they aren't keeping their eyes on the road because they are too busy looking for Pokemon.

• I believe it is resulting is a lot of deaths because people playing the game are not paying attention to where their going, their just paying attention to the game and not paying attention to whats in front of them.

• I did have the game for awhile but ended up deleting it cause it got old fast. My favorite thing about this app was all the car trips with friends trying to capture pokemon and stuff. However this game is VERY distracting especially if you are driving around and playing. The reason is that the app takes a lot of your full attention in order to capture things which is a huge Caution. There are so many deaths because peoples lack of awareness of whats around them while playing. GReat Story Whitney!  

• I personally don't play this game; however I did have it for like 10 minutes and deleted right after. This game has cause some tragedies around the world and to be brutally honest playing this game sacrifices to much. When the game first out everyone was getting it and all of that, but really getting this game and basically sacrificing your life is not responsible, just for a game. People get distracted just by texting and driving, the last thing they need to do is playing a game, while driving, just to find a creature that doesn't actually exist. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker