In 2008, Mirna Valerio went to the doctor's about pains she was having in her chest. Although she wasn't having a heart attack, her cardiologist told her that she needed to change her lifestyle if she wanted to see her son grow up. The next day she began running to save her life. She started her running plan slowly, running a mile at a time and slowly working her way up to 5 kilometer races. Now she's training towards a 6-day 120 mile run.

Q. If your doctor told you to change the way you live in order to live, what would you do?

A. My doctor told me to get in better shape I would try to eat healthier and exercise a few times a week.

Q. How hard would you train for something like the 120 mile run she's training for?

A. I don't even think I could pull off a 120 mile run like she's trying to, but I think it would take me years.

Link to website

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Your summary is brief and also be sure to reply more frequently.

• If my doctor told me to change my life style, I would do anything and everything I could to get fit and eat healthier. I would train every day, and start to work my way up to my goal until I'm able to do it. I think that it would definitely take a while maybe even years to train for this, but it is worth it.  

• I would change my lifestyle so I could get fit and grow up and not face health problems that may threaten my life. I would train really hard because you just can't throw yourself into a race of that length and time and not prepare yourself to the proper needs.

• If my doctor said I had to change my lifestyle to live, I would work out and try to lose as much weight as possible. I would also cut out junk and fattening food. If I were to train for a race like the 120 mile, I would run every day. I'd start out slow and work my way up but probably over the time span of months to a year. 

• It would depend on what i would have to change but i probably would. well you could not just start today you would have to be doing it for awhile 

• If my doctor told me to change my lifestyle in order to live, I would take his advice.  I would change my eating habits and exercise more. I would train really hard. I think this woman is amazing for what she is doing

• I would do what my doctor told me to do. If he thinks I'm in potential of dying I think I would try to get better and start exercising so my lifestyle would completely change. I think it's fantastic that she's running all the time. I don't think I would every be able to run 120 miles in one week. That's crazy! I think you would have to train like crazy for something like that. 

• If my doctor told me to change my lifestyle I would definitely begin without consideration. I would do all I could in my power to become healthy again. A 120 mile race seems impossible but if you really work towards your goals you can accomplish almost anything. An immense amount of training would be put into working towards this race. 

• I would start from the bottom and completely restructure my life. I would have to opt out of a 120 mile run... Does not sound good

• If a doctor told me I needed to change my lifestyle, I would take it seriously because my problem could lead to many different issues that could make things worse. I dont run a lot and maybe something different for me, I would try and change my eating habits and things like that. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker