In 2008, Mirna Valerio went to the doctor's about pains she was having in her chest. Although she wasn't having a heart attack, her cardiologist told her that she needed to change her lifestyle if she wanted to see her son grow up. The next day she began running to save her life. She started her running plan slowly, running a mile at a time and slowly working her way up to 5 kilometer races. Now she's training towards a 6-day 120 mile run.

Q. If your doctor told you to change the way you live in order to live, what would you do?

A. My doctor told me to get in better shape I would try to eat healthier and exercise a few times a week.

Q. How hard would you train for something like the 120 mile run she's training for?

A. I don't even think I could pull off a 120 mile run like she's trying to, but I think it would take me years.

Link to website

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• What would you actually do if the doctor told you to change your lifestyle? What else would you do instead of running?

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree with you, doing more than running is very important and could get you healthier than just running. That is a good idea to slowly increase the amount that you run, how many miles would you start at?

• If my doctor told me to change my lifestyle in order to live, I would take his advice right away!  I would change my eating habits and exercise more. I would train really hard and it would take me forever, but if it would help me, it would be totally worth it. I think this woman is amazing for what she is doing!

• I would do everything in my power to change my living I would do anything and everything I could. I would definitely have to train very hard for a 120 mile run and even then i probably wouldn't be able to run half that. 

• I would try to change my life so that I would be able to live longer. I don't think that I could run 120 miles but if I could it would take me a long time to train for it. 

• I would change immediately and start to change my life step by step. If you are going to do something like this you would need to train hardcore and go as hard as he can. I feel that if someone wants to do this then they have in in them to train hard and get their body in shape and make the change.

• I would definitely change the way I lived because if the doctor says something it's probably needed. I think if I was planing on doing a run like that I would need a lot of time to train and a strict regimen.

• I would listen to my doctor if it meant it would save my life, I would ask him/her would I should do then I would follow his/her directions. I think it would be extremely hard too train for something like a 120 mile and you would need to train for a long time.

• I would do whatever the doctor said due to life being so short already and not being able to see the world. she could technically run around the world and see it all with her kid tagging along for the most part. I would clearly train hard because that's not really the easiest race to compete in.

• I agree with you, jacob. If I were put into that situation, I would do whatever it takes to live. I know that you would too, you go hard in they gym so it wouldnt be a problem for you to get it done.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker