In 2008, Mirna Valerio went to the doctor's about pains she was having in her chest. Although she wasn't having a heart attack, her cardiologist told her that she needed to change her lifestyle if she wanted to see her son grow up. The next day she began running to save her life. She started her running plan slowly, running a mile at a time and slowly working her way up to 5 kilometer races. Now she's training towards a 6-day 120 mile run.

Q. If your doctor told you to change the way you live in order to live, what would you do?

A. My doctor told me to get in better shape I would try to eat healthier and exercise a few times a week.

Q. How hard would you train for something like the 120 mile run she's training for?

A. I don't even think I could pull off a 120 mile run like she's trying to, but I think it would take me years.

Link to website

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you, chase! If this situation was brought against me i would do whatever it takes to keep myself healthy. Healthy is my middle name so if i got sick with this, it would be no problem to get myself healthy again.

• I totally hear you man. I dont know how one of us would even get into this situation in the first place.  We would hit that sauna and sweat all that weight off.

• Totally man! Bodies can take so much but if you are able to stay healthy and exercise than this could not happen. Running 120 miles is a lot and there is no way your body would be able to run this far with conditions that are crucial.

• I would definitely try to get fit. I'd want to see my kids grow up and make a life of their own. It would also help teach my kids how to be healthy which would be good too. I personally don't think I could do an 120 mile run. It would take me too long to run it. I'm happy that's she working for that goal! Go her!

• If I was training and working for soemthing like that 120 mile run like she has been training for, I would have to train long and hard and really push myself. Something like that isn't someone you can just walk up and do you have to train long and very hard for. 

• If I was told by my doctor that I need to change my lifestyle in order to live and see him son grow up I would be very sad and want to get healthier. There is no better motivation than hearing that if you don't shape your life you wouldn't see your son grow old. 

• I agree with you alex. I would do the same thing as you. I would change my lifestyle in order to see my child grow up. I would want to see that. It would make things easier

• If I was told I needed to be healthier if I wanted to live I dont think there would be any better motivation to get healthy. I would probably have to train hard for a long time and I would probably never be able to actually do it if Im being honest.

• I'd take what that doctor said extremely serious. I'm not just gonna blow something off like that and just sit there and not do anything about it. I'd train extremely hard for that. It would take months for me to prepare but I'm happy for the lady that changed her life to see her son grow up. 

• If I wa told I had to have a more healthy lifestyle in order to live longer I would definitely try to make the necessary changes. I would train a little bit, because I wouldn't care that much about the run.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker