In 2008, Mirna Valerio went to the doctor's about pains she was having in her chest. Although she wasn't having a heart attack, her cardiologist told her that she needed to change her lifestyle if she wanted to see her son grow up. The next day she began running to save her life. She started her running plan slowly, running a mile at a time and slowly working her way up to 5 kilometer races. Now she's training towards a 6-day 120 mile run.

Q. If your doctor told you to change the way you live in order to live, what would you do?

A. My doctor told me to get in better shape I would try to eat healthier and exercise a few times a week.

Q. How hard would you train for something like the 120 mile run she's training for?

A. I don't even think I could pull off a 120 mile run like she's trying to, but I think it would take me years.

Link to website

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Leaving everything you leave would be tough and if I was going to leave my loved ones without me I would also try to do what my doctor said. I don't think I would have the dedication to train that much.

• Just about everything that that my doctor tells me to do I will try but that doesn't mean that I will be able to be able to do that fully. I could try but I dont think that I could pull this off but I could get closeish to it

• I would also do everything that my doctor told me to do if it meant I could live longer. How close would you get to completing the marathon.

• I would start to change my eating habits, and start to exercise more. I would work very hard every day, and maybe get help from professional fitness workers to help me reach my goal for the race. 

• I agree with your choices about your eating habits and more excising. You are the first person to talk about getting a personal trainer and I think that is a very smart idea.

• I would try to lose weight. I would train hard for it but I would never run that far because I think it is a waste of time but it is healthy.

• Well, If a doctor tells me to change my life style then I will do exercise and also eat healthy food to avoid unnecessary diseases. I will practice so hard that I can run for 120 mile. I may take a long time to be able to do that.

• That sounds very smart and I agree with your decision to try to eat better and exercise more. How long do you think you will have to practice that hard.

• If my doctor told me that I have to exercise in order to live, I would exercise.  Also changing your diet would be a big lifestyle change that could also make a big impact. I think it would be very hard to train for a run that long. It would take a long time to reach that point, you just have to be committed every single day.

• If a doctor told me that I would die if I didn't change my lifestyle, I would do whatever it took to get in shape. I would have to train extremely hard and not give up training no matter how hard it may be because that race would take a lot out of you.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker