In 2008, Mirna Valerio went to the doctor's about pains she was having in her chest. Although she wasn't having a heart attack, her cardiologist told her that she needed to change her lifestyle if she wanted to see her son grow up. The next day she began running to save her life. She started her running plan slowly, running a mile at a time and slowly working her way up to 5 kilometer races. Now she's training towards a 6-day 120 mile run.

Q. If your doctor told you to change the way you live in order to live, what would you do?

A. My doctor told me to get in better shape I would try to eat healthier and exercise a few times a week.

Q. How hard would you train for something like the 120 mile run she's training for?

A. I don't even think I could pull off a 120 mile run like she's trying to, but I think it would take me years.

Link to website

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• If I was told that I had to be healthier in order to live I would definitely try to make the necessary changes. It would take a lot of training to attempt a 120-mile run, probably more than a few years.

• If my doctor told me I had to change my lifestyle in order to live I would start exercising, eat healthier, and try to change my unhealthy habits.  If I were to even attempt a 120 mile run I would have to train for a while. 

• I would try o be healthy and doing a lot of exercise, well it will take forever for me as I don't like to run especially for 120 that is ridiculous. But I will give it a try if I want like running 5 miles everyday. 

• If I were told I had to change my lifestyle to save my life, I would definitely change, starting out slow like Valerio did, then working my way up to a healthier lifestyle. If I were to train for a 120 mile run like she is, I would go on a diet, watch what I eat, and I would start with running a few miles for 5 days a week, then work up to about 10 miles a day, then eventually 20.

• Yes, I would change the way I live because I want to live long and be there for my family. I would exercise and change my diet. I might also get a personal trainer and see a nutritionist to help me make the changes I need to. I would train the best I could for a 120 mile run, but I don't know if I would ever reach the point of being able to run that far.

• If a doctor were to tell me to change my lifestyle in order to live longer, I would immediately take their advice. I would try to eat healthier and exercise as often as I could, it’s a small price to pay to be able to live a long and healthy life. Being able to run 120 miles would be an enormous accomplishment, her hard work is definitely going to help her succeed. In order to try to accomplish her goal, I would try to run a mile everyday and slowly expand from there.

• I would do the same thing, but I love running so I don't think that will be a problem. I would train really hard, but I'm not sure if I would ever want to do anything of that intensity because I'd rather run for fun.

• I would to try my best to change the way I live if it will help me live. I would try anything that is said to help. I would train everyday for a 120 mole race otherwise I probably wont make it. 

• I would do what the doctor told me to do because I would want to live my life to the fullest and make sure I could do what was right for myself. I am not a big fan of running so I would not really want to train for a 120 mile run. I would try to get in the best shape I ever could. 

• If my doctor told me to change my lifestyle, I would because I would still want to live the rest of my life and watch my son grow up, even if it meant I would have to go through a really tough journey in order to get healthy again. If I were training for a 120 mile run, I would train really hard so that if I finished the race I would feel really accomplished and proud of myself for making it this far and getting in shape again.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker