In 2008, Mirna Valerio went to the doctor's about pains she was having in her chest. Although she wasn't having a heart attack, her cardiologist told her that she needed to change her lifestyle if she wanted to see her son grow up. The next day she began running to save her life. She started her running plan slowly, running a mile at a time and slowly working her way up to 5 kilometer races. Now she's training towards a 6-day 120 mile run.

Q. If your doctor told you to change the way you live in order to live, what would you do?

A. My doctor told me to get in better shape I would try to eat healthier and exercise a few times a week.

Q. How hard would you train for something like the 120 mile run she's training for?

A. I don't even think I could pull off a 120 mile run like she's trying to, but I think it would take me years.

Link to website

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• If my doctor were to tell me that then I would work on eating healthier and exercising more often. I would start walking everyday and running small amounts at a time till I could get to a point where I could run for a long time. I would train really hard for this. You would have to be in really good shape to be able to run that much. I don't think that I could pull this off. 

• I would most certainly change my lifestyle. Not that I would ever get that to point in my life. I would train really hard, running long distances everyday preparing for that one single run.

• If my doctor told me I needed to change my lifestyle in order to live, I definitely would. I would workout and eat healthy to make my life better. I would not know how to train for the 120 mile race, but I would continue to eat healthy, and have a balanced workout schedule. 

• If my doctor told me that i need to make some lifestyle changes, I would try to workout and least a couple of time a week. I don't even know where I would start to train for a 120 mile race. I would definitely run a lot to train, and eat healthier, so that I could be in good shape for when I would run but I think that it would take me a long to train for a race like that.

• I agree that in order to make this a lifestyle change you would have to workout at least two times a week and also training for a 120 mile race would be difficult. You would have to eat really healthy and get into very good shape to be able to run that. 

• I would try to be healthier in every way. I would also do what the doctor said I needed to.  I feel like I would try to eat healthily and exercise everyday.  I would try to train as hard as I could.  I would need to make sure I trained everyday and stretch well. 

• I would try to do as the doctor said and would try to live the healthiest lifestyle I could. I would think it would be very difficult because of the will power it would require to keep training and building muscle

• I would definitely change the way I lived. I would not want to just because I was too lazy to be healthy. I would probably train everyday for a run like that. It would take a lot of training to run 120 miles. I am glad she is changing her life for the better. 

• I would try and start exercising if my doctor told me to unless I would die. You we need to train very hard for this run and I would probably not do it but I am sure she is working very hard. 

• I would do exactly what he said because I don't want to die and leave everyone behind that I love just because I was living poorly. I would train pretty dang hard because a 120 mile run is pretty dang tough. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker