During the week of October 4th-10th the FBI thwarted a plot that was planned to capture the Michigan governor, Gretchen Whitmer. According to the FBI they had practiced firearm training, combat drills, and building explosives. One of the group members told one of the agents how they would have meetings in secret, in a shop basement only accessible through a trap door under a rug. The men spied on her vacation home in August and September, looking for a place to put bombs for a distraction to kidnap her. Indication shows they wanted to take her hostage before the election in November, take her to Wisconsin, and perform a “trial” to prove a point. They stated that one of the men bought a taser last week and they had planned to buy explosives on the 7th. Ms. Whitmer stated Thursday, “I knew this job would be hard, But I’ll be honest, I never could have imagined anything like this.” After these six men were charged another seven men, all from Michigan were charged with helping them. They were believed to be part of an extremist group called the Wolverine Watchmen. Stating that they wanted to cause a civil war, leading to a “Societal Collapse.” I think this is all very crazy that all of this is going on under our noses. Also it shows how bad people in this world can really be. I think part of this has to do with the Black Lives Matter movement because all the police are occupied at the moment with the hate they are getting. However, I am not placing all the blame on them, and it is a fact that they have been more occupied with the protests. I believe that we need to stop the violence against African-Americans and also the violence against the police right now. 

Here is the link to the article to read for yourself

What do you think should happen to the men involved in this plot?

Why do you think they would go for the Governor of Michigan of all the governors? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice and well done overall Reilly! I do think you could break your imfo into shorter paragraphs making it easier to read. 

• I think these men and anyone involved should definitely get charged fines for trying to commit a crime. I aslo think that they should all be punished and the ones involved in the FBI should lose their jobs for planning an attempt at kidnap because why should they have higher job like an FBI agent when they were going against the law?

• In My Opinion, I think the people involved in kidnaping her should be punished by the law because it doesn't matter how much you dislike someone there is no reason to hurt them. i think they go after her of all the other governor because of the position she is as a governor.

• I agree

• I think they need to punished for the crime, because I know they did not succeed in the act, but the men need to be punished because it is a governor of a state and that is a very high ranked part of the governor. I am sure they targeted the governor because of her beliefs and policies.

• Yes obviously they should still be punished. Its attempted kidnapping and maybe murder. It depends what intentions they had. I think they targeted her because shes very liberal and maybe because she did something for masks in Michigan.

• I think they should be prosecuted, because of how they planned it out, and how it put the governors life at risk. I think they went for the governor because she is a democrat and the men trying to kill her were conservatives, so it could be political. I think another reason why they went after her was because of her decision making for the pandemic with masks and such. 

• Yes, I agree the government was at a very high risk of being in trouble if this was executed before the FBI figured it out. I also agree that they went for her because she was a democrat and very liberal. However, I don't know much about the masks. 

• This reply was deleted.
    • I very much agree with your statement.

• I think the men involved in the plot should at the very least spend 30 years or more for attempted kidnapping and wrongful imprisonment. This is such a horrifying situation and I can't even imagine how terrified Governor Whitmer was when she found this out. I personally believe they targeted her because she is a democratic leader in such a republican state. The 'wanting to prove a point' is terrifying and should be looked into by psychologists and to make sure that these men weren't acting out an insane and disturbing fantasy.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker