After being dormant for four years, Mount Mayon has resurrected and has begun to erupt once again. This volcano is located in Manila of the Philippines and is known as the most active volcano in the Philippines. After erupting approximately 50 times in the last 500 years, Mount Mayon erupted again on January 14, 2018. So far there have only been "gentle eruptions," meaning they have been non-explosive. These "gentle explosions" include spewing ash on the villages on the nearby villages as a result of three steam explosions on Sunday. After these explosions, Renato Solidum, head of the local volcanology institute, believes lava is already flowing from the volcano. The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology has warned the residents surrounding the volcano of a "hazardous eruption" that is predicted to occur with in the next few weeks, if not within the next week. 

Due to this warning, disaster-response officials have begun their task of evacuating families from the nearby villages, including 1,000 families that have been moved to emergency shelters within a day of the first explosion. In an effort to protect their homes, some religious evacuees have hung giant white crosses at the entrance of their neighborhoods to encourage God's protection. 

To learn more about this event, click here!

Questions:

1. Mount Mayon is a very popular tourist attraction due to the volcano's perfect cone. Would you visit this volcano, knowing that is highly active and potentially life-threatening? Why or why not?

I would probably not visit this particular volcano since it is so active, but I would love to visit other volcanoes or even the surrounding area of this one because it looks very scenic and fun.  

2. If you were a native of a nearby village and were instructed to evacuate with limited supplies, what would you pick to bring with you and why?

I would obviously bring my family with me and any family heirlooms that we have. I would also bring a Bible and snacks for comfort and some little form of entertainment to keep me distracted from worrying.

3. If a catastrophic eruption did occur, how would you choose to help the victims of the eruption?

I would definitely pray for all the victims of this crisis, and if I was financially secure on my own, I would donate money to the disaster-response/recross teams to help those who lost their homes or are injured. If an eruption occurred at a convenient time in my life (probably after high school), I would be more than willing to volunteer to work with disaster response in this situation.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well done Rachel!

• I won't visit the area because it will be unpredictable and won't know if the nect would be worse or not.

Clothing and some cash it just stuff you need you don't need to bring a whole thing you own with you

Send money to organzation that help doing this kind of events.

• While i want to visit a volcano at some point I wouldnt visit this one since it is so active. I would only grad what i cant replace or items that have treasured memories attached to them. It would depend on if i could donate money and not have it backfire on me and where I am at in the world.

• Yes because it is still a great place to go even if it is active. In the case of a eruption, many acts are taken to rescue everyone there with helicopters and such. I would bring water, clothes, and food to stay healthy. I would donate money if I could.

• I would NOT go to the volcano knowing it is currently active just because I would be afraid of an explosion. I would bring my dog, my family, and my bible because these people are the most important things in my life. I would go down there and help any way I could.

• 1. Yes I would visit it because dying isn't scary to me.

2. I would bring my giant teady bear, my ready-to-go bag I have and my pets.

3. I'm no metic, but I would try and help any way I could with what I had on me, in my bag, in my brain, and in my hands.

• Wow, you sound very fearless! If you ever get the chance to visit a volcano, I hope you come back and share your experience with others! It sounds like an amazing idea to have a ready-to-go bag packed in case of an emergency.

• I would defentily want to go see it. I honestly wouldn't care if their is a chance of it errupting because a trip like that for most people is a once in a life time opportunity.  It would be an amazing vaction.

• Personally I would not visit any volcano. I know they are amazing to see but I would not go near one. I would take some food and water. I would also most importantly take my family and all of the important family decorations, etc.  Our family does not have a lot of money, but I could pray and try to send food and water.

• Staying away from volcanoes altogether is a very safe choice, and there are plenty of other cool vacations spots to visit anyway. Praying for the victims of any catastrophy is a great way to contribute, and I'm sure the families would all thank you for it!

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker