Paper Straws/Plastic straws which is bettter?

We all know that plastic straws are harmful to sea animals such as sea turtles. There are many pros and cons to both plastic and paper straws. 

The advantages of paper straws are they take 2-6 weeks to decompose but paper straws soon become very soggy and you eventually have to throw away your unfinished drink or get a new straw. If a movie theater has paper straws then you would be having to get up and go out of your movie once the paper straw becomes soggy and you cannot suck anything up anymore. That honestly is just a waste and is not good for landfills. Paper straws cause more pollution in landfills and they can also be unsafe with toxins.  Paper straws are the most common solution however they are not the best alternative. 

Plastic straws take up to 200 years to decompose. Many cities on the east and west coast have banned plastic straws. Paper straws are the most common solution however they are not the best alternative. Plastic straws I feel have more benefits to it such as not having a soggy straw and having to replace it every 10-20 minutes. 

I personally believe that we should use plastic straws rather then paper ones only because there are better alternatives to it rather than sucking out of a soggy straw.

Which do you prefer?

What do you think is best for the environment?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I prefer the plastic straws because they are way better to use. Yes maybe a paper straw is better for the environment but changing the type of straw we use won't save the earth/animals. I also do not want to drink out of a soggy straw.

• Agreed I don't think changing to paper straws will help as much as other things probably can. 

• I prefer the plastic straws over the paper straws because of how the straws can get soggy and taste off with a drink. Even though they are good for the environment, a better alternative for the environment would be metal straws since you can clean and reuse them.

• I agree, metal straws are probably a better way to keep the environment clean only because paper can also get littered as well as plastic.

• I prefer plastic straws. They tale longer to decompose but they don't disinagrate while your trying to drink out of it. I mean paper paper straws are better for the environment but they just aren't super practical.

• Yeah, we should try other ideas rather then something many people dissagree on. 

• Personally, I prefer plastic because they don't get soggy so easily. Paper may be better for the environment but plastic is just better. If people really wanted to help the environment they could use reusable metal straws or other types of straws. 

• I prefer to use plastic than paper straws. Paper straws get soggy very easily and it is very annoying having to change them so often. However, I think that paper straws  are better for the environment looking at the difference of time they take to decompose.

• I agree, we should start using rubber or metal straws and that could help the environment even more because you are not having to throw it out right away.

• I prefer to use plastic straws because paper straws get gross and soggy. I think that plastic straws are more sturdy than paper straws. However I think that paper are better for the environment so I try to use them. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker