Paper Straws/Plastic straws which is bettter?

We all know that plastic straws are harmful to sea animals such as sea turtles. There are many pros and cons to both plastic and paper straws. 

The advantages of paper straws are they take 2-6 weeks to decompose but paper straws soon become very soggy and you eventually have to throw away your unfinished drink or get a new straw. If a movie theater has paper straws then you would be having to get up and go out of your movie once the paper straw becomes soggy and you cannot suck anything up anymore. That honestly is just a waste and is not good for landfills. Paper straws cause more pollution in landfills and they can also be unsafe with toxins.  Paper straws are the most common solution however they are not the best alternative. 

Plastic straws take up to 200 years to decompose. Many cities on the east and west coast have banned plastic straws. Paper straws are the most common solution however they are not the best alternative. Plastic straws I feel have more benefits to it such as not having a soggy straw and having to replace it every 10-20 minutes. 

I personally believe that we should use plastic straws rather then paper ones only because there are better alternatives to it rather than sucking out of a soggy straw.

Which do you prefer?

What do you think is best for the environment?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice and great job replying to students Natalie! I do think your summary is bit brief overall.

• I don't prefer either but I think the paper is better for the environment. The only time I have had a paper straw get to the point of being unusable was after the drink sat for 2 hours. And paper does not take as long as plastic to decompose.plastic never becomes unusable while being used in a drink so that's a pro. I think in the end it really does not matter which you use if you use multiple paper straws or a plastic straw for one drink.

• I think that that there are pros and cons to both. The plastic straw is easier to use but is bad for the environment. While the paper straw is better for the environment but also gets soggy while using it. Over all, the paper straw is better for the environment, and should be used instead of plastic straws. 

• I think paper is better for the environment, but they do get soggy and you'll just have to throw them away. Plastic straws are even worse though. I think the better option overall is just getting your own metal or silicone reuseable straw if you really want to use a straw and not harm the environment.

• I prefer plastic straws over paper straws because paper straws can get soggy and dissolve into your drink. I think if you are trying to help the environment a better fix would be to reuse straws. Then you can also save some trees and other ingrediants in paper straws. 

• In my opinion, I prefer the plastic straws over the paper straws because of how the straws can get soggy and taste off with a drink.  If people really wanted to help the environment they could use reusable metal straws or other types of straws. I hate drinking out od soggy straw, I feel as I can taste the paper.

• I agree, people should do differen things to help the environment.

• I personally like plastic straws over paper straws. Once a paper straw has sat in a drink long enough it starts to get soggy and dissolve. Having one plastic straw for your drink is better than having 3 or 4 paper ones. Once you get the paper taste in your mouth you can't keep drinking out of the same straw.

• Agreed, there seems to be better alternitives to plastic rather then paper straws when it comes to a drink. 

• I personally perfer that we use plastic straws over the paper straws. I believe that the paper stray do not last very long and that they start to disolve over time. When the paper straws start to disolve, then you get the paper taste in your mouth and other particles in your mouth. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker