Paper Straws/Plastic straws which is bettter?

We all know that plastic straws are harmful to sea animals such as sea turtles. There are many pros and cons to both plastic and paper straws. 

The advantages of paper straws are they take 2-6 weeks to decompose but paper straws soon become very soggy and you eventually have to throw away your unfinished drink or get a new straw. If a movie theater has paper straws then you would be having to get up and go out of your movie once the paper straw becomes soggy and you cannot suck anything up anymore. That honestly is just a waste and is not good for landfills. Paper straws cause more pollution in landfills and they can also be unsafe with toxins.  Paper straws are the most common solution however they are not the best alternative. 

Plastic straws take up to 200 years to decompose. Many cities on the east and west coast have banned plastic straws. Paper straws are the most common solution however they are not the best alternative. Plastic straws I feel have more benefits to it such as not having a soggy straw and having to replace it every 10-20 minutes. 

I personally believe that we should use plastic straws rather then paper ones only because there are better alternatives to it rather than sucking out of a soggy straw.

Which do you prefer?

What do you think is best for the environment?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that plastic straws are better. They are durable, easliy portable and they last longer. I know that paper straws are better for the environment and we should take that into consideraton, but I honestly hate using paper ones because they suck when they get soggy and you cant finish your drink.

• I agree, there are alot of better alternitives to plastic straws rather then paper.

• I honestly think that both types of straws are bad for the environment. I think this because paper comes from trees and the more paper you need the more trees you have to cut down, therefore, causing there to be more problems with air pollution. When it comes to plastic straws on the other hand for one they get thrown into the ocean and could kill sea creatures. Not only that they most likely have tons of different chemicals in them that could be harmful to animals. Overall, I think that both types of straws are very harmful to the environment and I would much prefer metal straws because not only are they reusable but they are just better for the environment today.

• I agree, I think over all we should just use metal or rubber straws.

• I think that paper and plastic straws are ok both have good sides and bad sides I personally use metal silicone straws.  I do think that paper straws are better for the environment but like you said nobody wants to be sucking you of a paper straw. Restaurants should have an option between paper and plastic rather the forcing plastic straws.

• PLastic straws are way better. paper straws get soggy and mushy if they sit in a liquis for a long time and it gross. But better for the envoirment wise paper i sway better. It can break down faster and wont get in the water as badly as plastic does.

• I agree, I feel we should just start using different things rather then just two items that are both bad for the environment.

• Plastic straws are better. In fact, I hate drinking with paper straws becuase they get all soggy and they I feel like I'm drinking paper at times. I understand that paper straws are better for the environment. If I will ever choose paper straws over plastic, then they need to fix the paper straws and make them less "soggy". 

• I would prefer using a plastic straw, because I don't want drink up my disenagrated straw. Everyone knows they aren't good for the environment so I think there needs to be something else. Go back to metal straws or something.

• I agree with you if people have such a problem with it then they should just start using metal or rubber straws.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker