Paper Straws/Plastic straws which is bettter?

We all know that plastic straws are harmful to sea animals such as sea turtles. There are many pros and cons to both plastic and paper straws. 

The advantages of paper straws are they take 2-6 weeks to decompose but paper straws soon become very soggy and you eventually have to throw away your unfinished drink or get a new straw. If a movie theater has paper straws then you would be having to get up and go out of your movie once the paper straw becomes soggy and you cannot suck anything up anymore. That honestly is just a waste and is not good for landfills. Paper straws cause more pollution in landfills and they can also be unsafe with toxins.  Paper straws are the most common solution however they are not the best alternative. 

Plastic straws take up to 200 years to decompose. Many cities on the east and west coast have banned plastic straws. Paper straws are the most common solution however they are not the best alternative. Plastic straws I feel have more benefits to it such as not having a soggy straw and having to replace it every 10-20 minutes. 

I personally believe that we should use plastic straws rather then paper ones only because there are better alternatives to it rather than sucking out of a soggy straw.

Which do you prefer?

What do you think is best for the environment?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Personally, I don't like paper straws. The texture after being used a few times makes me want to gag. I would rather use plasic. But to really save the envrionment I would 100% use a metal straw. I saw online that there is another type of environmently friendly straw, using a round noodle. It sounds silly but its better for the envrionment and doesn;t have the soggy feeling.

• I think that any type of hat should be allowed and not just straw hats becasue they dont even mess with the school day and when we have dress up days and kids get to wear hats that is when people get most exited because they get to wear hats or whatever the day says it is that day.

• Paper vs. plastic straws has been an argument for as long as the argument of global warming has been around. Although paper straws are better for the environment, I would much rather use a plastic straw. After a while, paper straws get soggy, whereas you don't have to worry about that with plastic straws. 

• I agree plastic straws are a little bit better in some ways. 

• Personally me I prefer plastic straw because it seem like paper straw collect you drink. I think paper straw is best for the environment but I wouldn't use them because I don't like paper I would rather have plastic.

• I prefer plastic straws just because they don't get soggy and are easy to get/find. However, paper is better for the earth. Paper is easily recyclable and is used for lots of things. I just don't think paper straws should be made, they dissolve/fall apart when in a liquid too long, it honestly gets annoying. 

• In Germany, single-use plastic straws are banned. I think that paper straws are definetly better for the environment. And I also think that there are good alternatives like metal or paper straws. If we want to fight global warming, we have to limit the use of single-used plastic. 

• That is true but I also think that plastic straws have a little more use and we can use them a little longer.

• I prefer metal/ rubber straws but out of those options I like plasic better. I think that paper  straws are better for the enviroment. But I see why people want everyone to drink out of paper straws. It would not be my first choice. 

• Agreed it would not be my first choice either. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker