Paper Straws/Plastic straws which is bettter?

We all know that plastic straws are harmful to sea animals such as sea turtles. There are many pros and cons to both plastic and paper straws. 

The advantages of paper straws are they take 2-6 weeks to decompose but paper straws soon become very soggy and you eventually have to throw away your unfinished drink or get a new straw. If a movie theater has paper straws then you would be having to get up and go out of your movie once the paper straw becomes soggy and you cannot suck anything up anymore. That honestly is just a waste and is not good for landfills. Paper straws cause more pollution in landfills and they can also be unsafe with toxins.  Paper straws are the most common solution however they are not the best alternative. 

Plastic straws take up to 200 years to decompose. Many cities on the east and west coast have banned plastic straws. Paper straws are the most common solution however they are not the best alternative. Plastic straws I feel have more benefits to it such as not having a soggy straw and having to replace it every 10-20 minutes. 

I personally believe that we should use plastic straws rather then paper ones only because there are better alternatives to it rather than sucking out of a soggy straw.

Which do you prefer?

What do you think is best for the environment?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, plastic straws does last longer.

• I personaly perfer plastic straws over paper straws. I feel that plastic straws aren't such a pain to deal with, when compared to when paper straws get soggy over a time. But, I think paper straws are better for the environment becuase they break down much more faster than compared to plastic straws.

• I like plastic straws more for the use. Plastic straws also cause lots of wase, so that is where paper straws can be good. I pefer plastic straws because they don't have a weird texture and they can be used for a long time without getting soggy. I think we should try to use other alternatives like metal or rubber.

• I agree, we should use metal or rubber straws since they can be reused and not have to be wasted. 

• I agree, plastic straws can cause some waste but also have a few more benifits to them. 

• I think plastic straws are probably better. To be honest, it doesn't really matter to me at all. I maybe use straws like once a year. I think that people could just go without straws and just drink whatever it is. The only exception for using a straw would be like if you are elderly.

• Personally, I prefer plastic straws. They are easier to drink out of and have a better "taste" to them. I think paper straws are useless and shouldn't be used anymore. They cause alot of waste and many people don't use/like them. Therefore, I think plastic straws are better. 

• I agree, they just have the normal taste of the drink rather then the paper straws.

• I prefer plastic straws, but I know that paper are problaly better for the environment. I think that metal straws are good too becase they dont fall a part and you are not causing more waste to your community. I think that paper straws are maybe too thin and can cause problems.

• I agree, paper straws are probably way too thin and just become gross. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker