Omicron Variant

Omicron Variant

The Omicron Covid-19 variant is now the most dominant strain in the US, accounting for over 73% of new coronavirus cases less than three weeks after the first was reported, according to estimates posted Monday by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.” Researchers around the world are conducting studies to better understand the many aspects of Omicron and inform others about it.

It isn’t clear if omicron is more transmissible compared to other variants. More people have been testing positive for covid but they are not sure if it is because of omicron or if other factors have played into it, so there are more studies being conducted to see what the cause was. It is also not clear whether infection causes more severe disease compared to infections with other variants. There are more hospitalizations involving covid, but it could be because of increasing numbers testing positives with more severe symptoms, rather than infections surrounding omicron. 

As of right now, researchers from all over are connecting to better understand omicron. Studies include assessments of transmissibility, severity of infection (including symptoms), performance of vaccines and diagnostic tests, and effectiveness of treatments. 

Do you think the vaccine helps reduce the symptoms of covid?

Do you think this variant will be worse than other variants?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/20/health/us-coronavirus-monday/index.html 

https://www.who.int/news/item/28-11-2021-update-on-omicron

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice and well done overall Rylie! I do think you could have added your personal thoughts within your summary to help add to it's length a bit.

• I think the vaccine does help lower the chance of getting covid I don't know if it helps with each variant. This Variant looks like a cold so i do think it will have a lot of cases. I think a lot of people will think its cold and just move on. The more info we get about covid and the variants will help get the vaccine better and better. That is how we made a booster

• I agree the vaccine helps reduce symptoms.

• The vaccine has help people reduce the symptoms of covid. Also, many studies have shown that as of now Omicron is getting up there to catching up with the numbers from the other variants. Many things could change also with the variant and just because it's helping people lower symptoms doesn't mean it's working for everyone. 

• I agree that ths variant is catching up to others.

• I think the vaccine helps to get the numbers down and if you dont think it helps then just take it to be safe. I also think that the only reason that Omicron Variant is the most dominant strain is because it is the newest variant.

• I agree that it is most dominant because it is the newest.

• I think that the vaccine does help reduce the symptoms of covid because there is research proving it. Also, I don't think it's fair to say that the omicron variant will be worse than the other variants due to the lack of research out right now. So, it could be worse, or it could be better.

• I agree that it is hard to tell what variant will be the worst because we dont know a lot about omicron yet.

• I think the vaccine has reduced the symptoms of Covid-19. The reason I think that is because research had proved so showing less people have gotten Covid since they have gotten the vaccine. Furthermore, I think this varian may be worse than other variants.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker