Officer shot and killed a black person

A white officer(Betty Shelby) was charged in the  shooting of an unarmed Black motorist(Terence Crutcher) last year. The officer is scheduled to stand trial next month on a felony of manslaughter. If she is found guilty then she will have to serve 4 years in prison. Betty's first public comment since her arrest  said  Terence kept putting his hands  in his pockets and when she told him to stop moving He starting reaching for something in the vehicle. Betty was scared he went for a gun so she shot him. In an interview with Betty she said He was acting strange and she wonder if he was on PCP.

1.Do you think her actions were justified?

I can she why she did it but she should handled it better instead of shooting him

2.Do you think 4 year is long enough time in jail?

I think if she is found guilty the she should spend way more time than 4 years in prison

Link- http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/02/us/betty-shelby-terence-crutcher-interview/index.html

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think these stories are sad because it doesn't matter what color someone is if they feel they are unsafe then they need to do what they are trained to do. Someone that doesn't listen to the police orders need to just listen and don't call their bluff. If she is found guilty she should be in prison for longer then four years.

• I think that if there was video of him doing that and acting suspicious then maybe she could have done that, but otherwise I think she needs to go to prison. Also I think that maybe if she is found guilty she needs to go for at least 5 years and even more if she purposely did it.

• No, i don't think she should've just shot him on the spot just give him a chance. Yah, but i don't think it's going to stop her from shooting someone else for no rational reason but you never know she might quit being a cop and do something else because she doesn't want to go to jail again.   

• I think that if they searched the vehicle afterwards and saw that there had been a gun then i wouldn't charge her.Now if there wasn't  a real life threatening danger then i think she should be charged for manslaughter.I think 4 years is appropriate for actions as murdering someone like she had done if they don't have reason to believe she was right in shooting him.

• I think she could have handled this situation in a different way. I think if she gets the 4 years then that will be long enough for her to learn from this. 

• In my opinion, murder can never be justified, especially in situations such as this one. There has to be a way to subdue the suspect without killing them. Instead of shooting to kill Crutcher, couldn’t she have wounded him and called for help? Four years does not seem to be enough time for murder, but if she is found guilty she should not be allowed to work as police officer again.

• Yes, if everything she said is true then there's a good possibility she will get off of this. I think that if everything she said is true then 4 years should be long enough. It sounds like she was just trying to protect herself.

• I think her actions were justified, she thought she was in danger due the man's strange behavior. She handled the situation as anyone who thought they were in danger would. I think that if she is found guilty she should spend more than 4 years in jail, after all, she did still kill a man. 

• I don't think that her actions were completely justified because you shouldn't just shoot a guy because hes action strange. Yeah I think it is because if she is found guilty and is really innocent then that would be fair but if she were really guilty then I think she should spend a longer time in jail.

• It depends on if she is telling the truth or not, if she is, then yes her actions are justified. If she is lying and found guilty then it should be more than four years. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker