Officer's T-shirt Gets Him Denied Access To Theme Park

Few people think much about what they wear. Unfortunately for Vincent Champion, he and other police officers alike may have to give a second thought to this. Vincent and his girlfriend decided to spend the day at Universal Studios in Orlando. The two were denied admission at the door. "She said you can't come in here wearing a shirt that says 'police' on it," he told reporters. Champion is a retired Ormond Police officer and was wearing a shirt said this, reading "Retired Police Officer" around a small printed badge. On the back it said "My time in uniform is over, but my watch never ends." A person in line offered him a shirt and he accepted. Even after changing they wouldn't let him in, saying he had to return his t-shirt to his car before they would let him in. Finally after taking his t-shirt back they let him enter. Since the event Orlando Studios has apologized and stated that they wouldn't let him wear the shirt in order to prevent confusion in case of an emergency and that it was merely a safety precaution. "For safety reasons we want our guests and team members to easily identify active, working law enforcement," they said. Click HERE to read more

1.) Do you believe that Orlando Studios was in the wrong?

Definitely. I understand not wanting the confusion, but his shirt very obviously stated that he was retired and not on duty. Additionally, I felt the worker preventing him from entering was just being petty when they said he had to take his shirt to his car.

2.) How could Orlando Studios handle this situation better and prevent this sort of thing in the future?

I believe they should make an official rule against this sort of thing and make sure it's enforced. Their rules -including this one- should be displayed somewhere just outside the entrance, this way people know ahead of time if they're breaking this rule.

3.) How would you react if you were Vincent and Orlando wouldn't let you enter?

Personally I would be extremely frustrated if this happened to me. I understand why they would do this sort of thing although I disagree with it. If the worker was being calm and patient I might change and go in but more than likely I would just leave.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• You have a very valid point! In the case of an emergency nobody will look to your hands and try to read what you're holding.

For the wording of the rule I'm sure they could come up with something. No attire like security guards, police, exc. or something to that effect.

That's a good way of thinking about it, that it's not the workers fault, but nevertheless I think I would have a hard time not getting angry. The shirt looks nothing like the suit of a police officer. It even clarifies that he's not active. In the case of an emergency he can just say he's not an officer. The Studio is overcomplicating things.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker