NIL

Highschool NIL

For starters, for the people who dont know what NIL is it is your name image and likeness. You can be paid money by brands to endource products and in return they will give you an agreed apon sum of money. NIL first became a thing on July 1, 2021 for college athletes. For example, Bryce young has three NIL deals. He is the returning heisman winner from last year and is going into his junior season at the University of Alabama. It is estimated that Bryce youngs valuation is near the $3.1 million mark. He has four different NIL deals, including, cashapp, subway, Logan’s Roadhouse, and Bmw of Tuscaloosa. 

Now that you have a grasp on the idea lets talk it getting implemented into highschool. When the states were allowed to chose weather or not they wanted this implemented in their states the California Interscholastic Federation did not change. They have been allowing its players to profit off of their names since 2004. This is mainly due to the entertainment industry the state has. Iowa along with 16 other states have allowed NIL for their highschool athletes. 

On the other side of things some people are against NIL. They believe that it will take the pride out of football. Since these players are getting paid millions of dollars then they are able to take plays off and it will not hurt them as much as if they were not getting all of this money. They also dont think it is needed, but if someone is making some extra cash and sending it back home to their parents to help them pay for bills or something of that nature it is tremendously helping that family. 

What is your opinion of NIL?

Should it be allowed for highschool athletes?

Should there be a limit of how much money a company could offer?

Would you take and NIL deal if one was offered to you?

Sources: https://www.on3.com/nil/news/what-is-nil-for-high-school-athletes/ https://bamahammer.com/2022/05/30/alabama-football-nil-evaluations-top-players/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice and different enough from the other similar topic. Your summary is well done but i would like your opinions on it as well.  One day late.

• I think NIL is a pretty good idea all in all and if college and high school kids can manage it on the side of sports and school then they should be able to do it. However, if it gets out of hand then I think kids need to focus on other things especially if their school is already payed for.

• I think i would be a really good idea. This idea would help those who are passionate about their highschool sport can get their name out to colleges and make money doing the stuff they love to do, people that are good at sports need the recognition the deserve 

• I think NIL would be a great idea. Becasue if your a goood highschool athlete and no one out of your small town heres about you. NIL would get your name out and collages may hear about you from it. Its also an easy way for athletes to get easy money before going to collage. If I was a really good athlete I would want to be able to have NIL.  

• I agree, if you are good at something you should get paid for something. It is also a good way to get your name out their to the college coaches.

• I think that NIL is a great oportunity for collegiate athletes to make some money while they are getting advertised.  I like that NIL is open to the student athletes in the state of Iowa.  I do not think that it will affect colleges as much however.  I would for sure take an  NIL deal preferably from IHOP.

• I agree, it is a great way for college athletes to make money while they are in sports and school. It might fill the void of them not being able to get a real job for some extra cash. IHOP has some of the best pancakes and so do you. 

• I think NIL would be a good idea if your really wanting to be known for something like sports. If your a good athlete and no one hears about you then thats really not fair for you if you make good plays. If I was in the NFL and was a very good player I would like to be offered an NIL to know my name, image and likeness.

• I agree, everyone wants to be known and get their name out their. This is a great way to get their name out their and get awareness and money. 

• I think NIl could be possible a good idea towards athletes. NIL should be offered to all athletes highschool and above. That way the athletes can make some sort of money while they are not able to make money while playing sports. If I was offered a NIL deal I would take it. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker