New MLB Rules

The MLB has introduced new rules to be enforced during the 2023 season. One of the rules is a ban on defensive shifts.  A defensive shift in baseball is when the players shift to one side of the field in order to better their chances of fielding a ball and making an out.  This is more common in the Major Leagues and collegiate level because they are able to watch films and look at tendencies easier.  Another reason it is not as common in high school baseball is that players are not as consistent in their hitting tendencies. This rule could help some players because they consistently get out because of the shift.

Another new rule coming to the MLB is a pitch timer. The timer will give pitchers 30 seconds to throw a pitch between batters and 15 seconds between each pitch while no runners are on base.  There will be a 20-second pitch timer when there is a runner on base.  They are adding this because they want to speed up the game.  The MLB thinks that it will gain views by speeding up the game. 

They are also making the bases bigger.  They are expanding from 15-inch bases to 18-inch bases. They are doing this to make it safer for the base-runner and the fielder.  I have seen that many MLB fans do not like this new rule.  They feel like this will make the game less fun because it gives the baserunner a bigger advantage because there is more area to land or slide into while running.  

I am personally not a fan of these new rules. I feel like the MLB is making too many rules too fast. I feel like a lot of baseball fans agree with me. They don’t want the game of baseball to change too fast and too much.

What is your opinion about the new rules of baseball?

Do you think the MLB is righteous to make these rules to gain more money?

Do you think that the players should have a say in the rules?

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/rules/pitch-timer 

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/ap_news/sports/mlb-rule-changes-pitch-clock-larger-bases-and-more/article_37fd7299-6f11-5ac6-afbf-a5980f064318.html#:~:text=New%20larger%20bases%20have%20been,inches%20closer%20to%20second%20base

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-prospect-rankings-top-50-players-ahead-of-2023-gunnar-henderson-anthony-volpe-andrew-painter-in-top-15/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice(+5) and well done Hayden!!

• Me personally I don't watch the MLB and I definetely don't keep track of what's going on in the MLB. But I do think the players should have a say in the rules especially the major rule changes. I think the new rules could benefit the league but I'm sure a lot of people don't like them.

• I personally don't watch baseball so I can't say anything about how it was before or after the rule changes. But from what I've heard, there are some good and bad things that came from the changes. Although, I do think it will be good to speed up the game so it doesn't take so long.

• I think that the new rules are good and bad. I think that the pitchers should have at time because they can take a long time before they pitch. But the feild shift I think that should still be alound because that is good stratigie and game play. Yes it makes they game more interesting but there will be a lot of cheating. 

• However, I do agree with you about the shift. I think that they are taking away the right to strategize.  I hope that they get rid of this rule.

• I disagree with the time clock rule. I think that it doesn't give the pitcher enough time to deliver a good pitch. 

• I don't ever watch any level of baseball, so I don't really understand how much these new rules affect the game, but they seem to be somewhat fair. I do think the pitching rule is the best of all these changes, while the others lean a bit to much into the batters' favor.

• I don't think that this rule will help the batters. I think that it will make them struggle to hit more.  The batter won't be able to call time and reset themself.

• I disagree with you. I think that these rules aren't fair to the pitcher.  I don't think that it gives the pitchers enough time to deliver a good pitch.

• I didn't see a problem with baseball before these changes. Then again, I don't watch baseball. I think that we should just sit back and see how these changes affect baseball. I do think that players should have a say in the changes and rules that apply to baseball.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker