On Friday, the NCAA football rules commitee proposed changing the game’s kickoff rules to allow the receiving team to fair catch the kick inside the 25-yard line and have it result in a touchback. This rule was implied for the safety of the players and to prevent teams from trying to pin recievers close to there own end zone. All the other aspects of kickoffs are the same. This the first rule change to kickoffs since the touchback spot was moved from the 20 yard line to the 25 in 2012. Larry Fedora, chair of the committee and head coach at North Carolina said, “The committee discussed the kickoff play at great length and we will continue to work to find ways to improve the play.” “We believe making one change will allow us to study the effect of this change in terms of player safety.” This rule is the first step to them figuring out rules that increase safety while keeping the game the same. Many say that the kick off is the most dangerous play of the game. Yes, it is dangerous but it is a key play in the game and change everything just like that. Read full story here or here.

Image result for nebraska football drew brown kick off

Do you think this rule is going to make the game any safer?

Yes, I think it will make it safer for returners and will help improve safety over time as they add more rules from that.

Is there anything you would change about the rule?

No, I wouldn't change anything. I think it is good how it is.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I like your story but work on your questions and make the summary more of your own. Also be sure to comment to most everyone when you only have two pages.

• I think it will improve safety if the players decide to utilize it. I think the rule is good now that they have changed it to benefit the players and their safety. Hopefully more rules change slightly to make the game safer.

• Yeah I think it would be safer its a less chance on getting hurt really bad. I Think it will improve less injurgys and less concussions and. I would not change that rule because its gonna help with all the injurys

• I dont know much about football but I guess if this will make the game safer then i think its a good idea. I wouldnt change anything about the rule since i dont know much so i dont know whats best for the game. 

• Well it probably will lead more teams to take the fair catch, because there are less chances for injury. I think that they should just leave football as it is because it will also reduce kickoff return touchdowns which will be dumb.

• Yes I'm sure it will make the game safer allowing players more room kneel so there not tempted to run the ball and potentially get hurt on the return. I think the rule is good how it is I wouldnt worry about it. 

• It may make the game safer, but I don't like how they are changing the game so much. I like how the game is played right now. I would not change the original rule. This takes away some of the competition.

• 1) Yes, I do think it will make it much safer but I don't think it will make a huge effect because football is football, you get hit every play. 

2) Yes I would totally get rid of the rule. The reason why I would is the fact that it counts as a touchback is crazy. Players are going to use it to their advantage and the game won't ever be the same. I disagree with the rule just for the fact that you could be getting free yards for no reason. I like the safety part but not the touchback part.

• I agree with both of those answers. Football is football. The only way to make it 100% safe is to make people quit playing and I don't think thats happening anytime soon. Football will still be football.

• I think this could make it safer but it also is football, so there will be a lot of other injuries. Overrall football isn't a safe sport but it very fun to watch. I don't know much about football so I can't really safy anything about changing the rule.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker