Navy Seal Killed In Somalian Raid

A group of US troops that were in Somalia acting as advisers was put under light fire in the early stages of a mission involving the terrorist organization Al Qaeda. The group was quickly taken down. There was 1 death involving a navy seal and 2 injured 1 of which was a translator of from the US. These were the first deaths since 1993 which involved two black hawk helicopters being shot down and 18 American soldiers being killed. In response the US will be sending a new contingent of about 40 soldiers to join the near 50 already there. They will still hold the same mission of advise and assist the currant Somalian forces. 

Do you think that we are doing the right thing by sending more forces to Somalia?

How would you react if you were in charge of this operation?

I believe if the Al Qaeda group is large enough to ambush this group and still cause trouble in the region we should help take action against them, however we should send better equipment and not risk more of our troops lives, I think the more we send the larger scale attacks the terrorist group will commit. 

If I was in charge I would be sending in better equipment and not more troops. The more troops we have there the more the terrorist will have to target and they will begin planning larger scale invasions and attacks. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I definitely do think that we are doing the right thing by sending more of our forces to Somalia because they need help and we need to fight this with all we have. I honestly don't know because unless I've been in that exact spot, there's no knowing how I would react.

• Yes because this needs to end. I would try to make sure there is enough people and supplies to carry out the missions and make the objective easier to accomplish for our troops. 

• 1) Yes, they definitely need the help.

2) If I was in charge I would do the same thing, send more people and better equipment.

• I think that they should make the forces stronger in Somalia by adding more troops because Al Qaeda needs to be stopped. If I were in charge of this operation then I would give the troops better equipment that would make them safer. 

• I think that sending more forces is the right thing to do considering they took out the first group so adding more would give Al Qaeda more of a fight. If I was in charge I would try to get better mechanical equipment and I would try to create safer ways to protect the troops. 

• I personally think that sending more forces to Somalia is the right thing to do. By sending in only a few troops at a time, we are making our presence known and conserving resources simultaneously.  If we continue to get attacked, I think we should consider sending more troops and carrying out a larger-scale operation.  If I was in charge of this operation, I would be sure to send in ample equipment and reinforcements.  I think this is tricky situation that needs to be handled correctly. 

• I think by sending more troops to Somalia we are doing the right thing. If one dies then we need someone to replace them to help the team. If i was in charge i would probably do the same thing they did. 

• Before sending more troops over there i think we would need a better plan and even a better back up plan. We will have to get better equipment so the troops would do better. Its not worth sending more troops then having them just killed. 

• I think we need to have a better plan before we just send more troops there. If I was in charge of the operation I would definitely come up with a for sure plan before acting and taking charge. I would also send better equipment to my troops. 

• I think we need a better strategy or weapons, not necessarily more troops to get injured or killed. If I was in charge of the situation, I would map out a solid plan and be very meticulous so that the least amount of troops possible are injured or killed.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker