Nascar Driver Fractures Vertabrae in Wreck

NASCAR Driver Aric Almirola was involved in a accident this Saturday at Kansas Speedway. The wreck took place on lap 199 on a restart. Joey logano's right front brake exploded sending him into Danica Patrick's car, making it impossible to get around it. Almirola had to much speed and not enough time to avoid the two cars. Almirola broke his T5 vertebrae, he was airlifted to the University of Kansas Medical Center. He is expected to fly back to North Carolina on Sunday. 

Full Story here

Do you think there is any kind of safety equipment to prevent this from happening?  Explain

Would you ever race in nascar after hearing about these wrecks? Why or why not? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• no. nascar has always been one of the more dangerus sports if not the most. and i dont really know how it's that popular its just guys going in cercles. no, just because i dont like it.

• I completely agree. They probably hadnt tested the breaks for a freak accident like this and they thought that they could handle something like this but obviously they were wrong.

• 1) Yes I think there is, they wouldn't send people onto a racetrack knowing there's no safety involved.

2) Personally, I wouldn't. It may be fun but not if my life would be at risk for it,

• I don't know exactly if they can do anything to prevent something from happening because it is a risky sport. I would probably not race even if this hadn't happen I'm just not into this. 

• I agree with most of you that it is a very risky job and anything could potentially happen. I can also see why some of you would not like to race because it is a very dangerous sport to be in. Not to many other sports do you reach speeds around 200 miles per hour and be competing for hours straight. 

• I believe driving for NASCAR is a risky job within itself, and in order to do it you have to love the thrill of driving that fast and competing. I think drivers know what they are getting themselves into when they sign their contract. I'm sure NASCAR has safety equipment to cover their butts in legal cases. 

• There are many risks and you really have to be involved in it to do it. I would not race because it seems dangerous and I don't think I would enjoy it. They have a lot of safety equipment and the drivers are typically strapped in but accidents can always happen.

• I'm sure that there are many precautions the NASCAR takes to try to prevent injury. Regardless, it's still a risky job and you have to love it to do it. 

• I was actually at this race on Saturday, I watched the whole thing happen right in front of me. Like the article said, Aric was moving too fast and ran right into the other two cars. They actually had to cut open the top of his car to get him out. Also, there are many safety features in these cars. They are actually strapped into the cars so they don't get whiplash from the G-forces. 

• Crazy to think you were actually there! I think that that NASCAR does so much to protect their drivers and there is only so many precautions you can take before you lose the risk factor these people love. They know they have a risky job and that's why they love it!

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker