Nascar Driver Fractures Vertabrae in Wreck

NASCAR Driver Aric Almirola was involved in a accident this Saturday at Kansas Speedway. The wreck took place on lap 199 on a restart. Joey logano's right front brake exploded sending him into Danica Patrick's car, making it impossible to get around it. Almirola had to much speed and not enough time to avoid the two cars. Almirola broke his T5 vertebrae, he was airlifted to the University of Kansas Medical Center. He is expected to fly back to North Carolina on Sunday. 

Full Story here

Do you think there is any kind of safety equipment to prevent this from happening?  Explain

Would you ever race in nascar after hearing about these wrecks? Why or why not? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that they should have more safe seat belts, because this should not happen in a race. also i think that they should have better brakes in the cars after this. I would not do this after hears stories like this.

• These cars are equip with the best of the best. I think to stop a car going  over 200 mph is going to be very hard. As with lots of things, there are risks. The drivers know that they could kill themselves just by being in the race. They do everything possible to protect themselves inside the car. 

• I think the best thing to do would be to get better breaks. I would still race, because although the risks are high, if you win the rewards are great.

• I agree that the vehicle should've had some better brakes because they shouldn't have exploded on him! I agree that the drivers know that the risks are high and they do it for the thrill. And I'm sure the rewards are pretty spectacular. 

• I dont think I would ever want to race in nascar especially not after hearing a story like this. I would be to scared to with all the dangerous possibilities and am already a bad driver without even being in a race.

• I agree after hearing this I don't really want to hop into a race car for NASCAR! I don't enjoy driving to begin with so the thought of going super fast around a track is not my idea of fun! I see the appeal to certain people but it just isn't for me or for other people! (ESPECIALLY BAD DRIVERS)

• I agree with you on that one after hearing that story i wouldn't want to race either in Nascar or in any race in that case. Yeah same i am already a bad driver too and imagine going the speed they are going i would all over the track. 

• I feel like they already provide as much safety as possible but when a car is going that fast and wrecks there is no way to come out completely fine unless you are extremely lucky. This guy is probably lucky he just broke his vertebrae and isn't dead.

• There is a lot of safety precautions that NASCAR takes because they have to legally. I'm sure they've come across things like this happening. You know there are only so many precautions you can take before you lose the entertainment and thrill factor. 

• There is no other safety equipment to prevent this, it was just a freak accident. I don't think I would race in nascar because it is dangerous. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker