Nascar Driver Fractures Vertabrae in Wreck

NASCAR Driver Aric Almirola was involved in a accident this Saturday at Kansas Speedway. The wreck took place on lap 199 on a restart. Joey logano's right front brake exploded sending him into Danica Patrick's car, making it impossible to get around it. Almirola had to much speed and not enough time to avoid the two cars. Almirola broke his T5 vertebrae, he was airlifted to the University of Kansas Medical Center. He is expected to fly back to North Carolina on Sunday. 

Full Story here

Do you think there is any kind of safety equipment to prevent this from happening?  Explain

Would you ever race in nascar after hearing about these wrecks? Why or why not? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that better, or more reliable breaks would have been something to prevent the accident from happening. 

• No not really because they pretty have all they have to protect them already i cant think of any other way to make things more safe then what they already have. Yes and no, yes because its sounds so much fun in be able to drive that fast and race people and be famous and no at the same time because it is super dangerous and people can easily die doing it. 

• NASCAR is a very hot and cold sport. It's a lot of fun to race that fast against people and get a lot of money but at the same time you are risking your life every time you get on the track. The cars have as much safety gear on them as they can. You also have to remember that they are trying to keep their vehicle as light as possible. 

• Yes I agree with you as well, there isn't much more safety equiptment that they can put in these cars, it was a freak accident. Like I said its a chance you take when you climb in the car. 

• There really isn't that much "safety equipment" in racecars i feel that there should be more. But, I mean if you do drive racecars you make that commitment and your taking the chance that you may or may not get hurt. This is something that probably happens on a normal bases I'm not for sure.

• If I was lets say like the owner of the car then yes I would think their is some kind of protection to protect my driver. If I was just a civilian and didn't know anything and heard about this then no way.

• Personally I don't think their is because that was pretty much a freak incident and their is nothing that you can do. Heck yeah I would because if i loved the sport well then i wouldn't give up just like that

• There probably isn't really anything that they can do to prevent that because you can't predict what car in what time is going to have an accident causing other cars behind them to stop or swerve around them.

• Well most cars have plenty of safety equipment like roll cages and they wear seat belts obviously, but there really isn't a ton more you can do. The racers know that they are being involved in a very dangerous sport considering the speeds they are making their cars and bodies travel at, so they are well aware of the risks they're putting their lives in.

• Yes, those features are very important in the cars They also have helmets that are very protective and even suits with armor plates inside. They also have a special chair that sits them perfectly in case of an accident, they also can't move their heads in these seats. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker