More than 250 people dead in mudslides

Torrential rain Friday in Columbia caused mudslides which raged through the city. 254 people confirmed dead. Only 170 people have been identified. 43 children were among the dead and 22 were hospitalized. Another 203 are severely injured. A horrible 70 children were separated from their families.

LINK

1. What would you do if caught in this situation?

2. How would you try to help, if you could?

I would run like a bat out of ____. Get to high ground and scream for help and probably blow out my lungs.

If I had the money, I would have a helicopter flown out and find people stranded.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Id try to not be fully submerged into the mud and be suffocated by id get to the highest place i could find and try to escape the flow of the mud.Id try to dig out possible people trapped in it or even try getting more help for them by getting more than just me digging a couple people out maybe get near bye people to help.

• I would be completely lost on what to do because I don't know a lot about mudslides, but  I would try to get out of the area as quickly as possible. Then if I could I would try to help someone or I would call for help.

• I would try to get away from the mud, because you don't know what is inn it. I would try to help people who were struggling, and get them to safety with me. 

• If I would in the situation, I would want to move out of the area as quick as possible. Family cannot be replaced and I wouldn't want to take any chances. I would help look for survivors or help identify found people. 

• Try to help people if I wasn't trapped within the mudslide otherwise I'd wait and hope someone finds me. Call 911 and then start removing the mud and debris to find people and help them get out of there and if there is something I can't move I'll see if help has arrived and if not I'd ask other people for help.

• Terrific answer. I love people's comments. They are all heartwarming and genuine. I didn't even think about calling 911.

• I would probably freak out and wouldn't know what to do because I don't know a lot about mudslides so I would be lost on what to do or how to react. I would call anchorites and let them handle it because if I tried to help people I think I would just make the situation worse.

• You are the only person that said they would act this way. Thank you for being honest and that is probably what most would do at first.

• I would try to evacuate or get to safety and help others to safety as fast as possible. I would try to help find people and help them to get what they need.

• If i was in this situation i would try to get away from the flood obviously. I would try to help others that are in trouble and cant get away from the water. If i could help i would just get as many people as possible to a safe place 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker