Missouri Dress Code for Women in The House

In Missouri, on Wednesday, January 11th, lawmakers put into place a more strict dress code only applying to women. The dress code states that "trousers and dress shoes or boots. Proper attire for women shall be business attire, including jackets worn with dresses, skirts, or slacks, and dress shoes or boots. For the purposes of this rule, "jacket" shall include blazers and knit blazers. This rule shall apply to all." This means that no matter what a woman in the house is wearing, they have to wear a jacket of sorts with it

While the code for men is, "proper attire for gentlemen shall be business attire, including coat, tie, dress trousers, and dress shoes or boots." As you can tell, the dress code is much more relaxed for the men of the house. The vote for the new dress code passed with 105 for and 51 against.

In years past the house has always had a strict dress code for both genders due to the nature of the setting, but this new code is outrageous. I understand why people would want a tighter code, they want it to be more professional. I also understand why others wouldn't want it to pass, they want women to be more comfortable in their workplace.

Do you think the code should have been passed? Why or why not?

How do you feel that the code passed?

Do you think that there should be changes to the code? If so, what?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/missouri-lawmakers-implement-a-stricter-dress-code-for-women-in-the-state-house/

https://house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills231/jrnpdf/jrn005.pdf

https://legislature.vermont.gov/Documents/2022/WorkGroups/House%20Rules/Documents%20and%20Testimony/W~BetsyAnn%20Wrask,%20Clerk%20of%20the%20House~2021,%20Oct.;%20NCSL;%20Dress%20Codes%20in%20chamber%20rules%20or%20policies;%20BAW%20highlights~2-9-2022.pdf

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think people should just know what is appropriate to wear. The fact that they have to make it a law is sad. I think it's good they want people to look presentable. Therefore I don't see a problem with it. Good topic!

• i dont think there is inheretly anything wrong with the law and it just seems to be a rule to look professional in the eyes of the house

• I think adults need to know what is appropriate and what is not. They need to know what to wear and what not to in the house, and if it is inappropriate then they maybe shouldnt be there or get in trouble for it, I think they shouold add a dress code, it wont hurt

• If people don't know what is appropriate to wear in the house, then they deserve to get into trouble.  I think that it wouldn't hurt anything for the code to get passed because people would still need to use common sense when they are choosing what they are wearing to the house.

• I think that people know what to wear and if you don't wear the right dress code and if it is not appropriate. There are some people that don't think about what they are wearing and if it is appropriate to wear to work.

• I think that people know what to wear in the house. If they don't know what is appropriate and what is not, then they probably shouldn't have there job in the first place. It may appear that women are being targeted, however, I think that it just looks like this because the clothing style these days. 

• There's nothing much that's wrong with the law that was passed, just the fact that it is so much more lenient for men. The code, for women, isn't terrible and isn't that strict against them, but it will still feel that way because the male code is less strict. I think that the code should be equal for both genders, whether that means stricter-- or less strict-- laws.

• I agree that there isn't all that much wrong with the fact that it passed, but there are more concerning issues out there than the skin on a woman's arm. If they needed to revise the code, then why not make any adjustments to the men's part?

• In think that the way that the code is now is not that strict for women. Maybe the "having to wear a jacket" was too far. But with everything else, I believe that the dress code for men is more strict. Men can only wear dress types of clothing, while women do have to be dressier, but they can make it comfortable. While men's dressier options are not always as comfortable.

• I think that it was fine that it passed, I think this because I do not really see much wrong with it. When dress codes are made they will almost always seem against women. This is because most men are unlikely to do things like wear shorter stuff this is for dress codes in general and why they seem to be mostly aimed at women. But for this in specific it is not that different from men to women both are suposed to wear a jacket.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker