Missouri Dress Code for Women in The House

In Missouri, on Wednesday, January 11th, lawmakers put into place a more strict dress code only applying to women. The dress code states that "trousers and dress shoes or boots. Proper attire for women shall be business attire, including jackets worn with dresses, skirts, or slacks, and dress shoes or boots. For the purposes of this rule, "jacket" shall include blazers and knit blazers. This rule shall apply to all." This means that no matter what a woman in the house is wearing, they have to wear a jacket of sorts with it

While the code for men is, "proper attire for gentlemen shall be business attire, including coat, tie, dress trousers, and dress shoes or boots." As you can tell, the dress code is much more relaxed for the men of the house. The vote for the new dress code passed with 105 for and 51 against.

In years past the house has always had a strict dress code for both genders due to the nature of the setting, but this new code is outrageous. I understand why people would want a tighter code, they want it to be more professional. I also understand why others wouldn't want it to pass, they want women to be more comfortable in their workplace.

Do you think the code should have been passed? Why or why not?

How do you feel that the code passed?

Do you think that there should be changes to the code? If so, what?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/missouri-lawmakers-implement-a-stricter-dress-code-for-women-in-the-state-house/

https://house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills231/jrnpdf/jrn005.pdf

https://legislature.vermont.gov/Documents/2022/WorkGroups/House%20Rules/Documents%20and%20Testimony/W~BetsyAnn%20Wrask,%20Clerk%20of%20the%20House~2021,%20Oct.;%20NCSL;%20Dress%20Codes%20in%20chamber%20rules%20or%20policies;%20BAW%20highlights~2-9-2022.pdf

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I see where you're coming from when you say you think that it's okay that it passed. I just very firmly believe that if you are in that position, you know how to dress and we don't need all these new rules. It's a little overkill in my opinion.

• I don't think that this dress code should have been passed. I think that both men and women should have to dress up for their job, but this was not necessary. If they are dressed appropriately and they look proper their is no need for all of this, they should be able to wear what they want.

• I don't  think it should have been passed because people should be aboe to ware what they want and they if it is really bad they can have their own punishment. I personally don't understand the big deal with arms they dont show anything and the person should be able to ware what they want.

• I think they should at least wear proper clothing and make themselves look professional. I also think that men already know how to look professional in a sense, But i do think they should have be applied equal for both men and women. I don't think it's necessary to have it as a law if they have it as a rule in the workplace then yes they should follow it but it shouldn't be a law.

• I think that both genders need more of the same dress codes. You are already somewhere where you are gonna dress proffesionally. I see why there is a dress code but dress codes are a big arguement. 

• I don't think they should be basically forced to wear a long sleeve jacket or something like that. I don't see why they made the dress code or the big deal about seeing a woman's arms, but it seems very strict. They should just let them wear whatever they want as long as it's appropriate. 

• That's what I believe. I understand that women have more fashion choices than men do, but I think that the code is a little over the top.

• I don't think it should have passed because as we said in class, you'd think that if you're in the house you should know how to dress properly and most everyone does. In class you said that the men are allowed to remove their coats in session. Why not the women? Maybe because womens clothing tends to have shorter sleeves and hems. They should change the code so that women don't HAVE to wear the coats if they don't want to.

• I think that being in that position many pepole already know how to dress appropiate but if there is a dress code it should be applied equally for both gender. I feel that it is necessary so people dress up appropiately but it should be more flexible and applied to both, men and women the same way. 

• I think the dress code sounds proper for this business setting, it's a very professional position, so it sounds fair that they have to dress that way. But I don't think it was necessary for it to become a law, I'm sure most women in that position already dress that way, so I'm not sure why they would go through all that work to make it a law. But I do think that they should consider weather conditions because I'm sure both men and women would get hot wearing those heavy jackets during the summertime.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker