Missouri Dress Code for Women in The House

In Missouri, on Wednesday, January 11th, lawmakers put into place a more strict dress code only applying to women. The dress code states that "trousers and dress shoes or boots. Proper attire for women shall be business attire, including jackets worn with dresses, skirts, or slacks, and dress shoes or boots. For the purposes of this rule, "jacket" shall include blazers and knit blazers. This rule shall apply to all." This means that no matter what a woman in the house is wearing, they have to wear a jacket of sorts with it

While the code for men is, "proper attire for gentlemen shall be business attire, including coat, tie, dress trousers, and dress shoes or boots." As you can tell, the dress code is much more relaxed for the men of the house. The vote for the new dress code passed with 105 for and 51 against.

In years past the house has always had a strict dress code for both genders due to the nature of the setting, but this new code is outrageous. I understand why people would want a tighter code, they want it to be more professional. I also understand why others wouldn't want it to pass, they want women to be more comfortable in their workplace.

Do you think the code should have been passed? Why or why not?

How do you feel that the code passed?

Do you think that there should be changes to the code? If so, what?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/missouri-lawmakers-implement-a-stricter-dress-code-for-women-in-the-state-house/

https://house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills231/jrnpdf/jrn005.pdf

https://legislature.vermont.gov/Documents/2022/WorkGroups/House%20Rules/Documents%20and%20Testimony/W~BetsyAnn%20Wrask,%20Clerk%20of%20the%20House~2021,%20Oct.;%20NCSL;%20Dress%20Codes%20in%20chamber%20rules%20or%20policies;%20BAW%20highlights~2-9-2022.pdf

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• That's exactly what I think, when you are put into a position as such you are expected to know how to dress for the job.

• I think dress codes are important in this type of business setting. I think dressing professionally is imporant, but I don't think that this update to this extent was necessary. I can see both sides of it though. I can also see how this change may have made some people upset.

• I think that dress codes in jobs such as this need to be placed, but also I don't think that it needed to be passed as most of them are already dressing professionally.  I'm not sure it was necessary in a position of work such as that. As lawmakers they are always in a very professional work environment and they know to dress accordingly. I don't think the update was necessary. 

• I think that a strict dress code should be implemented for men as well I do not think there have been any women who have dressed inappropriately. it's common knowledge that you should dress fancy so I think that yes it is good that the dress code is stricter but at the same time I think it's also bad.

• I completely agree. I strongly believe that if you are put into such a professional position then you should know how to dress without having to be told what you can and cannot wear.

• I think that women have a strict dress code because they have more options to wear. Men have suits and ties and button up and thats all they wear. I think that it was good that this was passed because it makes everyone dress properly and look more presentable. 

• I feel like if there is such a strict dress code then it should be equally strict for both genders. I also cannot really imagine that women would have had dressed inappropriate in the past, so that there was a need for a stricter dress code. However, it is a very professional work environment and the people should dress accordingly. 

• I am not really sure, I am a little in between both sides. I think that if there is a more strict dress code it should be put into a very professional job force. I don't think that people are very careless with their attire while working a professional job. So, there probably didn't really need to have an update on the dress codes. 

• I completely agree with how you feel about being stuck in the middle. If you're put into a professional position where a certain dress is expected, there shouldn't be excessive regulations.

• I do not know because I can see how it can be both good and bad. I feel that if people voted for it, it probably was for the better. But also I can see how people may be upset about it. I think that the people who are in the Missouri house of representatives should compromise by slightly less strict.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker