Mines vs. Monarchs

Tens of millions of monarch butterflies are facing danger, as one of Mexico's largest corporations is near winning government approval in re-opening a sprawling mine in Angangueo, right next to the most important winter habitat of monarchs. In a region where butterfly tourism isn’t doing much to ease pervasive poverty, the mining proposal has plenty of local support, even as it alarms biologists. very few people are aware that Mexico’s largest mining conglomerate, Grupo México, wants to use a loophole to 'revive' mining in the Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve, a protected region where most industrial activity should be banned. Mexican environmental authorities, along with a global conservation group that has an active program in the reserve, have said almost nothing about the proposal, which local scientists say "poses a clear threat to the beleaguered butterflies". 

People are left with few options: Provide jobs for the suffering people of Angangueo, or save these butterflies?

If you were had to make the final decision, what would you choose and why? 

Who and what would your decision benefit?

Read more here

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• There could be other ways to get jobs, but once these butterflies go extinct they really can't come back. 

• I think I would make every effort to protect the butterflies. Jobs can always be found in other places, and financial support from the Mexican government or other countries can come into play until the Mexican people can get back on their feet.

My decision would benefit the butterflies because they are fragile, defenseless creatures that we have no right to hurt just so that people can get made-up money in a made-up system. 

• I agree. They could find a different location for their business, instead of harming animals that have done nothing wrong.

• This decision wouldn't be easy to make because it could help with many jobs if you decided to keep the mines, but it could also help the environment if you decided to choose the butterflies. I would most likely choose the butterflies and help the environment and keep them alive,.

• This would be a very hard decision, but I agree with your choice, since it wouldn't harm them.

• I think I would choose the butterflies because there are a lots of ways to provide jobs, but the main reason I why I would choose the butterflies is because I work with them back in Mexico and I know how big is this problem and how important they are. I think this butterflies are awesome and they do an important job in our world.

• I agree, and hopefully environmental authorities agree as well. They should look for a different location.

• I would chose the butterflies cause there is always another way to get more jobs, but only a few ways to protect butterflies. The butterflies and butterflies fanatics and the environment where the butterflies live.

• This is a very big and hard decision, making the jobs would benefit the people in a good way, this also can help the environment like saving the butterflies. the way to fix this is to stay where it is now and the mine to move to a different spot so both sides could get something out of it

• I think this is a very hard decision. I think making the jobs would greatly benefit these people and ultimately helping people is the best thing that can be done, but saving the butterflies is also important and helping the people could not only cause damage to the butterflies but also the environment. I think the best way to solve this would be the reserve stay were it is and the mine be moved somewhere else so both sides could benefit. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker