Medical Aid in Dying (MAID)

(MAID) stands for Medical Aid in Dying and it also means medical assistance in dying.  Medical Aid in dying is defined as a widely supported end-of-life option that provides dying people with peace of mind and comfort during a difficult time. Some people compare MAID to “assisted physician suicide” but most would say it’s not the same. 

1 in 5 Americans currently have access to MAID but only 11 areas of the US allow MAID. A lot of people ask if MAID is a good idea. One side thinks it's a good idea because you won’t have to continue to pay for unnecessary medical bills for someone that is not going to get better. And it helps people with long term disabilities, not have to go through life with that disability. 

The other side would argue that it is immoral and unethical to end people's lives because they have a disabling condition. They have just as much of a right to a long life as the rest of us. To be eligible for this, you have to be 18+, terminally ill (6 months left to live or less), mentally incapable of making their own decisions, and you have to be able to take the pill yourself. 

I believe that this should only be allowed if they are ill, and not going to live for very much longer. I don’t think people with mental disabilities should be able to do this, because they won’t even know what they are taking when you ask them to take the pill. 

https://www.compassionandchoices.org/our-issues/medical-aid-in-dying 

Do you think MAID should be allowed to all people that are eligable right now?

What do you think the eligablilty should be?

Do you think this is immoral and unethical for mentally ill people?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• In my opion people that are almost to there last breathe should be able to take this medication, and that they are a good person that desives to live a little bit longer. If it is somethat that is a chriminal I wouldn't want them to get this medication. 

• I agree that if they are going to die soon anyway, they should be able to do this.

• I think that maid should be allowed to some people if they are really suffering badly .  I think that the eligibility should be that they have to have a severe disease or illness that will already most likely cause death. I don't think that it is immoral unless they aren't suffering already.

• I agree that it isnt immoral because some of them are already suffering.

• I think MAID should be allowed for people who are in extreme pain and are going to pass soon, or if they know they are going to pass soon from a disease, sickness, etc. and they are ready to go. In my opinion, if I knew I was going to die soon, I would want it to end when I find out, I wouldn't want to sit every day and wonder when I'm going to pass. I do not think MAID should be allowed for mentally ill people, they have a chance at having a longer life, so instead of ending it all, I think they should get mental help.

• Yes, I agree it is a helpful thing for people in pain.

• In my opnion people that are very ill and in an extreme situation whould be able to take this medication. However, I do not think that people that are mentally ill should be able to take it because there is always a way to find a solution and ask for help before this. 

• I agree that mentally ill people should not be able to do this.

• Personally, I think that MAID should be allowed for the terminally ill, or if they are going to die, or if they are in so much pain, the recovery would be long and hard, and they weren't strong enough. It would be a good way to go in peace

• I kind of agree that it would be a good way to go, but it would be a tough call to make.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker