Man Declared Dead Snores Right Before His Autopsy

A week ago on January 7th, a man from Spain was found in his prison cell unconscious. He was examined by 3 doctors (allegedly) and they declared the man dead. Right before the autopsy was to begin the man began snoring. As of right now, there is only 2 ways to declare someone dead. The first one is if their heart stops beating and doesn't start again. The other way is if they are brain dead and don't react to the tests the doctors give them which would send electrical impulses to brain cells. This man had epilepsy and could've had catalepsy as a result which would make him unresponsive to the tests due to seizures.

For the full article click here

Questions: 

1. Do you think there should be a better a way to truly know if someone is dead or not? Explain why or why not?

2. Do you think the man was examined by the doctors? Why or why not?

I think there should be a better way to know if someone is dead or not so that doctors can save more lives. I think the man was examined by the doctors, but they weren't aware of his condition or didn't do a thorough examination.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good job Dani!

• I think their should be a better way to tell if someones dead or not. In past years I have seen similar articles like this and they said he was dead and he or she is alive. I don't think very well, how wouldn't they get it right.

• I think there should be a better way, especially to avoid situations like this one, but probably they can't find another way. I assume that the doctors and scientist are working on test like this a lot and normally their methods are up to date. I guess he was examined but probably not long enough. 

• There is not many other ways to tell if someone is dead or not without cutting their body open but there should be a different way to tell if someone is truly dead. The doctors might have not done the best with checking to see if he was geniunely dead possibly because he was in a prison

• Well there really isn't another way to test it without cutting them open but it would be nice if there was. I think they checked him slightly but because he was a prisoner they didn't care near as much

• Normally the doctors use heartbeat as the sign of death in regular cases. They wouldn't just cut you open to see if you're alive because they you'd be dead without proper anesthesia. 

• 1.) No, becasue sometimes the body can trick the doctors and they will declare someone dead. I don't think it would really be easy to make sure he is dead or not if he isn't showing any signs of life.

2.) No, because it is a prison and they probably didn't think to examine him very well. They just though oh its just another dead inmate who cares. The doctocrs just didn't want people to know they didn't examine him good enough.

• His condition could've caused the doctors to see signs of death. The doctors could've briefly examined him and overlooked his condition because he's an inmate.

• I belive that the doctor must check to see if they were dead or not. Yeah but, they didn't know what was happening like they kept asking their self questions and he was alive and they didn't know until he started snoring. 

• They declared him dead and prepared for the autopsy, but right before they cut him open, which would've killed him, he began snoring. So basically snoring saved his life.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker