Maid's Arm Cut Off By Employer

An Indian worker complained to the police that her employer was mistreating her. The Saudi employer found out about what her maid had done and decided to do something about it. The employer actually cut off the 58 year old's arm. The maid was not getting paid or enough food which is what led her to the police.

The Indian government did complain to Saudi Arabia about this incident. India is also trying to charge the employer with attempted murder. The Saudi ambassador refuses to talk about the incident over the phone and told CNN to request an appointment. CNN is still waiting for a response on their request. 

I think what this employer did was horrible. The maid probably works as hard as she can every day to help this lady out. There was absolutely no reason to do this to her. 

Here is the Link to the full story. 

Questions:

1. Do you think the Saudi employer should be punished? Why or why not?

2. Do you think the maid had a right to complain to the police about how she was being treated? Why or why not?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you, the employer in now way had the right to do what she did to her maid, especially when the maid does her housework for her everyday!

• I think the employer should definitely be punished. You can't just do a crime like that and get away with it. And yes, I think the maid had every right to go to the police. If somebody is being mistreated they should report it. 

• Glad somebody else thinks that the maid had the right to go to the police. Many people probably think the maid took it too far, but if I was getting mistreated I would definitely want somebody to know about it. 

• This is horrible! I definitely think that the Saudi employer should be punished! I think she needs to pay fines and be put in jail. Cutting off an employee's arm is extremely cruel and should never happen. I agree that the worker probably works very hard every day to try and please her employer. She probably works harder and harder to convince the lady that she should get paid more and have more food. I think the worker also had the right to complain to the police about how she was being treated. Workers rights is very important in my opinion. No hard working person deserves to be treated harmfully, especially in ways such as this story. I just wish telling the police would have turned out better for this person.

• I completely agree with you. No matter what she goes to the police about you have absolutely no reason to cut somebody's arm off just because you are mad. Worker's rights I also think are very important as this maid most likely does many many things for this lady every single day and she is not being thanked really at all. If the employer wants the maid to continue doing a good job she obviously needs to keep her healthy, which would be by feeding her properly. I would also say that this employer should not ever be allowed to hire a maid again. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker