Lifeguard Breaks Mothers Heart

Story

On the Aegean Sea there sat two boats, one with a mother trying to get into Australia illegally and in the other a volunteer lifeguard named Simon Lewis. As Lewis got near the boat the mother was going to attempt to throw her baby over to him. Simon had a choice to make he could either save the baby and be tried with smuggling people in to the country, or he could leave the boat with the mother and the baby on board. Lewis not wanting to face court had to force them to go back to their country and watch a mothers heart break.

My Opinion

There is no right choice here one way or another you make the wrong choice. Prison or moral you will either be broke physically or mentally, but I do think I would have taken the baby because if that mother brought that baby she is unfit to have it.

Questions

Would you have saved the baby? Why?

What would you do if you were the mother in this situation?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great job overall! Be sure to provide a hyperlink to the story though.

• I would not have saved the just because I would not want to put myself at risk of losing my job for illegally bringing someone over into the country. I get that the mother probably wants the child to have a better life in the U.S. but I would not risk losing my job for it. If I was the mom I would probably be really upset and try to convince the lifeguard to let the baby into the country. 

• Good point, I never though of how it could effect his job.

• I would save the baby but have the mother go back because she wouldn't be able to get over here and she would have to go back either way. I would just go back with me and the kid just because I know I wouldn't be able to go. 

• I agree, saving just the baby might be the thing to do, and letting the baby have a good life would be the right thing to do.

• Yes, why else she obviously wants the baby to live a better life than the mother. No idea on that matter.

• I wouldn't have saved the baby because I would be putting myself at risk too. The lifeguard did the right thing. He did what he is supposed to do. I would definitely be sad because I would be trying to escape from something.  

• I agree, but as the lifeguard I would feel very guilty

• I would've saved the baby, because I'd be saving a life, even though I would be tried with smuggling people into the country. I'm sure if him and the mother both told authorities what exactly happened he wouldn't be tried for smuggling because the mother felt like she wasn't fit to raise the child. If I was the mother I would go to the country with the lifeguard and tell authorities why she did what she did, so that the lifeguard didn't get tried for smuggling people into the country.

• I agree, but I think the government would have still given her the boot because they can't let anybody slide.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker