Legalization of marijuana

Marijuana, pot, or “weed” has been widely illegal in the united states since 1937, even though the American medical association had objections because of marijuana's medical positives. Many Americans viewed pot in a bad light, partially due to prejudice towards Mexican immigrants in the 1910s who used marijuana, according to Eric Schlosser in an article for The Atlantic, “Police officers in Texas claimed that marijuana incited violent crimes and arose a lust for blood, giving it’s user superhuman strength.” This obviously wasn’t true, but rumor spread that Mexican immigrants were giving “killer weed” to American school kids. Marijuana is not all that toxic to the body and has medicinal benefits, it is used to soothe migraines, insomnia, and stomach aches. It can also treat and reduce seizures and works as a painkiller without causing dependence and there is no such thing as a marijuana overdose, in fact when compared to alcohol, alcohol kills more than 140,000 people each year due to overconsumption, while marijuana kills absolutely none. Regardless of all the benefits, marijuana was effectively banned nationwide in the 1937 “Marijuana tax act”. Punishment for possession of marijuana would continue to get worse until the 1970s when most states made their disciplines lighter. However, it is still considered a schedule 1 substance, in the group as much harsher drugs like heroin and methamphetamine.

Counter argument: Smoking marijuana is still inhaling smoke, which isn't good for your lungs. The drug of marijuana isn't harmful in itself, but the smoke inhalation is just the same as smoking a cigarette, or vaping, although cigarettes still have nicotine and vapes have more harmful chemicals. There are also vaping products that contain marijuana. This is why smoking marijuana should be illegal under the age of 18, although there are other methods of consuming marijuana such as edible products like chocolates or gummies, these are often disguised like other products such as Trolli gummy worms or nerds rope. I believe these products should be much more clearly labeled and not disguised as children's products to avoid children from consuming them.

Now, marijuana is legalized for medicinal use in 29 states, and legal for recreational use in 8 states, recently president Biden granted a pardon to those who were caught with simple marijuana possession, stating “No one should be in jail for simply using or possessing marijuana.”.  I believe recreational marijuana should be legalized for all over the age of 18 across the entire united states.

What do you think?

Should marijuana be legalized nationwide for recreational use?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think the marijuana should be legalized for medicinal uses only. If people who need a certain chemical in the plant cannot get it somewhere else or cannot find a alternative that is effective, then I think that they should legalize it. Now, when we talk about recreational smoking, then I would say that we shouldn't just because it can cause issues.

• I think that it should definetly legalized for medicinal use in all states because it can really help people. I think it would also safer to legalize it for recreational use because leagalization also makes the marijuana much more safer. I would agree with you and legalize for all over the age of 18.

• I personally think it should be legalized but to an extent, because there is no real bad harm to smoking it except maybe people can get addicted to it besides that it should be legalized for recreational use. And I think it should only be sold in shops and not by random people that could have grown it themselves that could have potentially maybe messed with it or done something bad to it that could harm someone.

• I agree, legalization would greatly reduce deaths to due marijuana being laced with things like fentanyl by the dealer without the user's knowledge. whereas dispensaries could be regulated by the government and are a lot safer

• I think weed should be legal because it helps with arthritist and cancer. Also if we don't alot of people will smoke it anyways so why not just legalize it. Alot of people can profit off of selling weed to other people. Its also very easy to get and its not bad like the other drugs out there.

• I think it could really help the economy, illegal dealers out on the streets would be able to open legal dispensaries and make a lot of money.

• I think that it should be legal because multiple places have already legalized it and all you have to do is just go to one of those states. I also think that people shouldn't be getting introuble for possesing it when it is so easy for people to get.

• Recently, Biden issued a pardon to those in trouble for simple possession of marijuana, which cleaned people's criminal records, and some maybe even get out of jail.

• Yes, it mine as well be legal becuase everyone has it. I feel like everyone has it it mine as well be legal. No days cops pull over people and they have weed they just take it give them a citation and depending on how much they have will depend on what the punishment is. If it is a trafficking amount then they are going to jail for possession of an illigal substance but they give those citations out all the time. So yes I feel like it should be legal since everyone already has it and also it is so easy to get so yeah.

• I think that ultimately, it should be legalized. However, I think it should still be regulated. Certain people would just sit around all day and be lazy with it. I think that people should only be able to obtain a limited amount, so no one becomes lazy. It also shouldn't be encouraged in society either.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker