Legal drinking age

Forum post 

The legal age to drink is 21. In 1984 they changed the legal age to drink from 18 to 21. I believe that it should be lowered back to 18. In the United States you are considered a legal adult at 18years old, you can vote, join the military, are expected to pay your own bills but you can't drink. I believe that if you are considered an adult at 18 you should be able to have a drink. 

In many other countries such as Austria, Belgium, and Denmark the legal drinking age is 16 and in Columbia, Australia, and Costa Rica the legal drinking age is 18. Most other countries have their legal drinking age lower because that is when a person is considered to be an adult. Yes in a sense lowering the legal drinking age could be risky considering drunk driving and other things but either way most 18 thru 21 year old already drink so ultimately it's up to the person if they choose to drink and drive.So I believe that is the legal drinking age should be lowered to 18 because that's when you are no longer considered a child.

1. Do you think the legal drinking age should be lowered to 18? 
  2. Do you know anyone that is under the age of 21 that has drank before?

https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/minimum-legal-drinking-age.htm#:~:text=The%20MLDA%20in%20the%20United,varied%20from%20state%20to%20state.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think the it should stay at 21 and if it changes it should go higher. The  age 18 is still way too young because your mind and body are still developing. Some might say, "Well they should know responsibility by then." Not all people know responsibility by that age, and could get severely hurt. 

• I think that the legal drinking age should stay the same and if it does change i think it should go up in age. for 18 year old to be albe to drink, there brain and body are still growing and drinking can effect that and you are still growing at the age of 21 too. thats why i think if the age does change it should go up.

• I do not think the drinking age should be lowered. I think that some people are mature enough but some arent. they should just leave the drinking age as it is. Because if it gets lowered, they will keep wanting it lower and lower.

• I thing that the legal drinking age should not be lowered to 18. I think this because too many people drink and drive already. If the age were to be lowered there would be more drunk drivers and more fatalities. Personally I don't know anyone that is under the age of 21 that drinks.

• In my opinion, I think the drinking age should stay at the age of 21. I think is helpful with collage, as you would be in your 3 to 4th year of it. You would learn how to be responsible. It would not be beneficial for many to lower the age. As you have only driven by yourself for 2 years to learn to do it while being under the influence would not benefit anyone.

• I think that is should be set at age 18. At this point they should know how to be responsible. And your brain is almost developed. So think that is should be lower.

• I think lowering the age to drink isn't a big deal I feel there is many reasons it could happen. On the other hand I dont see it happing because of how many drunk drivers get in accidents all the time and how often it happens. I know a few people who drink under age. I feel it would be safer to lower it because A lot of under age people drink and could get in accidents but it is also there fault if anything happend because they were drinking under age.

• I think that the legal drinking age should be lowered to 18 because some poeple are responsible enough for it. Yes, I know alot of people who have drank under 21..

• I think that the legal drinking age being lowered would make sense for some reasons, but I don't think it will ever happen, at least not for a while. With all of the drunk drivers, and alcohol related deaths, I don't think that people would ever really want to lower the drinking age.

• I think the drinking age shuld be lowered to 18. I think this because, you can have so many other responsibilites when you are 18 so you should be able to drink. Also, I dont think that your brain really grows any more from the time that you are 18-21.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker