Kidnapped American is Freed

Sunday, August 24th, Peter Theo Curtis an American journalist was set free from the al-Nusra Front a Syrian rebel group with ties to al Qaeda. Curtis was captured back in October of 2012 while he was working in Syria. The United State was not responsible for any negotiations but was aware the of Curtis's kidnapping and were try to make efforts of his return home.

Why do you think al-Nusra would just release them like that? Do you think there could have been a possible ransom paid that we do not know of?

The full story  

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Your summary is a bit brief and be sure to reply more frequently.

• Since the United States doesn't negotiate with terrorists, I think they realized that a ransom would not be paid, and he didn't have any information, or wasn't giving any. 

• I think that he was to much of a hassle for them to handle. Another mouth to feed some one that they had to protect if they wanted information. I think that there was a ransom that was paid off in some way. I don't know how much it was but it was enough for them to let him go.... It's quite possible.

• I think that maybe the journalist either gave them some facts that they wanted to know or made it so he wouldnt say anything about what he was there to find facts about or he was tranfered to their side and was released because he had joined them.

• They may have released him because they did not need him anymore. They may have got all the information they needed out of him, and then let him go. Since he was an American journalist he might have had lots of knowledge on certain things they wanted to know about. 

• I think they let him go maybe because the US wasn't doing much about it and it just became a hassle for them to take care of him and such. 

• I think that they released the guy because he was going to help the group. If not, the government most likely isn't telling us everything. If they did pay money to get him back, the government will probably raise taxes, gas price, and grocery price. 

• That could possibly happen but the U.S. ''Does not negotiate with terrorist"  

• Possibly, who knows the government is secretive, however the government is not suppose to answer to ransom from terrorists. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker