Keeping USafe

USafe Lifering from Noras Performance. You may have seen this weird horse shoe shaped life saver all over social media. It's 2017, and the future is now.  Noras Performance is pushing to get the new USafe Lifering life saver out to local pools and ocean lifeguards. The USafe Lifering is a life saver that is remote controlled and can be directed to the victim in distress. This product was made to get to victims faster and to keep other people out of danger. Either from the distressed victim or perhaps a shark in an ocean lifeguards case. The USafe has exactly two jets and is steered by a remote control. Research shows that there is over 3,000 deaths from downing in the last 3 years. This is just one of the Throwable Flotation Devices. You can see more of the devices in the link below. 

Throwable Flotation Devices

Article

Article

Question 1- Do you think this will be the next big thing in drowning rescues?

Question 2- Would you prefer having a lifeguard save you or the USafe?

Question 3- Would you like to see a USafe at Ocean Lifeguard shacks and or pools?

My Opinion- 

I myself am a lifeguard and I feel that the Usafe could save a lot of time and get a distressed person out of the water quicker than a lifeguard having to jump in and swim to the victim and swim them back. I think this will defiantly be the next big thing in drowning rescues but mostly in the oceans. If I were in a local pool I think having a lifeguard is just as good, but if I were to be in the ocean I would probably prefer the USafe. I would feel safe with a USafe at a local guard shack by the ocean because drowning in the ocean is more common than in a local pool. The ocean has a lot of waves that are really strong and can just drag a person under. Pools don't have bumpy waves. Also oceans are a lot bigger and have dangerous animals in them like sharks, so having the USafe could get someone out of the water quicker. So I would say have them on the beach of an ocean and stick to lifeguards at local pools.  

Video

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• No not at all, me being a lifeguard, it kind of upsets me to think that a robot could save a person better than an actual lifeguard. There are plenty of different saves depending on the state of the victim. This robot does not have the ability to judge the situation. This is a horrible idea. I would definitely prefer that a certified lifeguard save me over a robot. I could see how this would be more effective at a beach, where the robot could reach the victim faster... but definitely not at a local pool, here, the lifeguards would be way more effective. 

• I agree I would rather have them at the beach. Like I said before I would also rather have a lifeguard save me in a local pool, but I feel they may be nice in the ocean as well.

• I think in oceans and such this could work. If a person were a ways from the beach, this lifesaver would get there faster than a lifeguard. If I were in a pool, I would prefer a lifeguard, but in an ocean this would probably be best. It kind of depends on the situations. I would like to see this at Ocean lifeguard shacks because that's where it'll will get more use in my opinion. 

• I agree i would feel safe with them in the ocean. I would like to see lifeguards at the pools instead because its a small area and we don't need huge floating devices in the small pool area. 

• I think it could help but I don't think it would help a lot because even if it gets to them it looks slippery so it would be hard to hold onto and it would be hard to steer in water.

• Even with a lifeguard jumping into the water the life saver will get wet no matter what because it is going to be in water. You can't really keep a life saver from getting wet and slippery because no matter what it will be in water. 

• I think it could help in situations where someone is drowning. If a person was drowning in the ocean or a bigger area of water the Usafe would probably be better. I would like to see them at ocean lifeguard shacks, but if I was at a pool I wouldn't mind just having a lifeguard.

• I am the same. I would feel safer seeing them in the Ocean because it is bigger body of water and the currents are strong. But pools don't really have waves so they should stick with lifeguards. 

• I think that this device would be beneficial in larger areas of water. However, there could be complications and it could crash on its way to help someone. If the person is unconscious before it arrives, it would be hard for the robot to find the person, where as a lifeguard could look and search. I would feel safer with a trained lifeguard, personally. I think it would be good in larger areas, like the ocean, so that help could be sent faster. But, lifeguard are also still needed in my opinion.

• I feel the same way, but I don't see how it would crash in water but I think I get what you are saying. Having a human there is probably better and I personally agree I would probably like to have a lifeguard there as well. Again I agree lifeguards will always be needed. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker