Julia Roberts suggested to play Harriet Tubman???

The title really says it all, but to go into more depth, recently, the movie Harriet was just released in theatres, sharing the inspiring story of Harriet Tubman. Harriet was a women that helped slaves escape to freedom through the underground railroad  around 1850. She was nicknamed the "conductor" of this rail road, showing that she was clearly a very important asset to the operation. So, as she deserves, a movie was recently released about her life and trials. While choosing a cast for this movie, the studio president of Focus Features made a casting suggestion. The suggestion being to make Julia Roberts play the part of Harriet Tubman.

Now, if you don't know what either of these woman look like, I understand why you think, "what's the big deal?"

Well, let me just show you the "striking resemblance" of the two. Note the sarcasm.

This is Julia Roberts-

Image result for julia roberts

This is Harriet Tubman-

Image result for harriet tubman

Yeah, I see it. similar nose... eyes...

-oh, oh wait. Haha. Silly me. I kinda forgot the teeny tiny fact that Julia Roberts is WHITE.

Yes, Mr. President, lets have a movie about an African American woman that spent years of her life being disgraced and threatened due to the color of her skin while risking her life to save slaves and change her entire RACE. GOOD. PLAN.

But ohhhh wait. It gets better ladies and gents.

When the president of the company was confronted that Harriet Tubman was kinda... you know... black, and Julia Roberts was kinda... you know... not, he said this.

"That was so long ago. No one will know that."

*crickets*

Considering her name has been mentioned in literally every middle school in America... I think SOMEONE might notice...

But anyway, the fact that Harriet Tubman would be played by a cocasian might not go over too well. To me, that just screams "black people need a white person to save them". Or maybe thats just me. <<< Sarcasm.

Click Here to Read More

So, do you think the president of Focus Features was intentionally trying to be racist? .... Or was he just being a literal moron that needs to take 6th grade history again?

How do you think people would react if Harriet Tubman was played by Julia Roberts?

Is this all fake news because people can’t possibly be this stupid?

Probably and hopefully. But hey, it’s one heck of a story.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree. Luckily, The movie producers did not follow through with the president's suggestion and did find a more fitting cast. I recently watched the movie and thought it was absolutely phenomenal. I was very happy with the historical accuracy. Especially Harriet's correct skin color.

• I don't know what the president of this movie is thinking. I think he thinks Julia Roberts is an amazing actress and then the rest just didn't click or something. I think people would be furrious at the fact Tubman would be played by Roberts and rightfully so, but people are mad at this kind of like how people were mad that ariel was being played by a black actress. All in all, I don't think people should get this upset but I ceartainly understand why. 

• I agree. This president was simply not thinking straight or something. Julia Roberts is a phenomenal actress and I really like her roles, but she is definately not suitable for this part and people would not be happy that a documentary about such an important african american was changed in such an important way.

• No, not really, that is because he was probably not thinking right in the head. He needs to take 6th grade history again. I think people would be overly confused why they look different. I don't know. 

• Yeah, maybe. I really don't know if he was trying to be racist or not with this, but maybe he just doesn't know what Harriet Tubman looks like, and thats why he shrugged off the mention of Harriet Tubman's race; he was embarrassed by his mistake so he figured others would make the same one.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker