A judge  ordered a homeschooler placed in school and even scheduled a trial after a falsely reported that the girl was illiterate. To make matters worse, the judge refused to examine the girl’s test scores, which indicated she was reading and writing at the level of her grade, the Home School Legal Defense Association () reported. The scores were from an independent agency. The controversy started when the mom, named Vanessa, moved to a different county in Kentucky and enrolled her daughter in a private school. But she soon realized that homeschooling was a better option, so she pulled the girl, who until that short time had been home schooled her entire life.

That’s when things went wrong.

"The private school … contacted the local director of pupil personnel (DPP), who called Vanessa at night and told her that she needed to file her notice of intent to homeschool immediately,” HSLDA’s Darren Jones wrote. “But the very next day, the DPP filed charges in court, accusing her of neglecting her daughter’s education. He claimed that the daughter had only attended school 20 days in her entire life and that she could not say or write the alphabet.

The judge ordered Vanessa to enroll her daughter in a school, and he scheduled a trial for six weeks later. HSLDA then hired an independent consultant, who evaluated the girl and found she was working above her capacity. The consultant reported he had “no idea why someone at the school would have said that the girl didn’t know the alphabet. She’s a good reader (with very good phonetic skills).” The consultant even added in an email, “The mom does a great job!”

Click here for more

Questions.

What is your opinion on Homeschooling?

Would you homeschool your kid if you thought it was a better option?

My thoughts:

I think homeschooling is great for some people, and it may work for them, but everyone has their reasons for homeschooling. I would definitely homeschool my kid, because the concepts taught in schools are hard for some people, especially the math some schools implemented. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Homeschooling is good for some people but not everyone. No Because it takes more time away from the parents and they wouldn't really interact with people their age that much.

• I think homeschooling is a good option for some people, but not for everyone. If I thought it was a better option I would home school my kid, as long as it was benefiting them in some way and they were fine with it.

• I think homeschooling is good for some students if it works but a lot of kids like being around other people their age and learn better that way. If homeschooling works I think it is more effective because it moves at the pace of the student instead of trying to fit everyone. 

• I think home school is good for some kids if they want to be home schooled i wouldn't have a problem with it. In my opinion i feel like they would get more lonely and wouldn't have fun with there friends but if it helped them more i would consider that.  

• I think homeschooling is not for everyone, but it is for some people. It really depends on the person, the teacher, and the environment. Again, it just depends on my child's personality. If my child would benefit more from homeschooling, then yes I would do that.

• I think homeschooling might be beneficial for some, like those who have problems keeping up or need extra help. I personally wouldn't want to be home schooled because I think it would get lonely. If it was the right choice for my child, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

• I am not a big fan of homeschooling. If the student needs to be home schooled, then that is fine. Such as if that student is getting bullied or is falling behind. I would not want to homeschool my child because I know I would not be able to teach my child. 

• I think that as long as a kid is receiving a good education while being home schooled than it's alright with me for them to be home schooled. If I had gotten the education to teach I would maybe home school but I think homeschooling is the best option because kids don't learn good people skills. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker