"It's Now or Never"

In July of last year, Conrad Roy III died of carbon monoxide behind a K-Mart in Massachusetts, he was dating a girl online, Michelle Carter, she encouraged him by saying “You just have to do it, you have everything you need. There is no way you can fail. Tonight is the night. It’s now or never.” For months after the suicide, she denied encouraging him, until one night she texted her friend after finding out that the cops would be going through Conrad’s phone. She went on to tell Conrad before he killed himself, “Everyone will be sad for a while but they will get over it and move on,” She even went on to tell him methods of how he could do it, bag, rope, or carbon monoxide. Eleven days before Conrad commit suicide, he suggested that he and Carter die by suicide together, “like Romeo and Juliet” he said. Days before his suicide, Michelle Carter texted her boyfriend, “There is no way you can fail...You’re strong...I love you to moon and back and deeper than the ocean and higher than the pines, too, babe forever and always. It’s painless and quick,” referring to the suicide. Her next court date is October 2nd and the judge is deciding on whether or not the involuntary manslaughter charge should be dropped.

Read more on the story here.

If you were the judge, would you drop the charges? Why or why not?

If a friend of yours was thinking about committing suicide, what would you do to prevent it?  

<span class='image-component__caption' itemprop="caption">Michelle Carter in court last Monday.</span>

Michelle Carter, 18

<span class='image-component__caption' itemprop="caption">Conrad Roy III was found dead July 13, 2014.</span>

Conrad Roy III, 18

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• That really said he was lucky to be on this earth. if i was a judge i wouldn't drop the charges I would of helped the guy out not encourage it. Its manifested that she encouraged him so she cant say she didn't. To bad he didn't find any support.

• if i was the judge i would not drop the charges she needs to go to jail for life she pretty much killed him and he looks like a good happy outgoing person from the photo i dont know how anyone in the right state of mind could ever encourage a suicide... we are all people and have problems but suicide is never the answer, life gets betters just keep looking to the next day. I would get them help and be a friend and do as much as possible i would be there for them and support them through their hard times.

• Really sad that this had to happen. It's pretty obvious that she was encouraging him to commit suicide, and he trusted her enough that whatever she said made a big impact on him. She pushed him to do it after he had already been thinking about it.  I would not drop the charges I am 100% sure she had something to do with his suicide, and Conrad may be alive today if it weren't for her. If I had a friend who was going to commit suicide I would try to convince them that everything will get better, that you can make it through the tough times.

• I wouldn't drop the charges if I was the judge, she doesn't have the right to tell him what to do and what not. If the guy had suicidal thoughts or was depressed, he should have gone to a therapist, he needed help and she was the person he trusted, and by telling him what to do he probably thought that it was the right thing to do. Although the girl knew about his problems she told him to kill himself and that is in my opinion manslaughter. 

• I think that they should charge her with it because she told him too and keep on doing it to.

• I think that she should have changes against her because she may be the only reason why this person committed suicide. If I were one of the parents of the person who died, I would want them in jail because if it weren't for their peer pressure, the son may have been alive today. The fact that someone would encourage another person to do something like this is sickening and needs to stop now. 

• I think she should be charged for man slaughter because you don't get the right to just tell someone to go kill themselves and I think he should have just left her and maybe tell him parents so they can help him out. If that was my friend i would help them and tell them not to do it and try to get them the help they need and not let them do it.

• If I was the judge I would not drop the charges. I read the text messages between the 2 and Conrad implied in one of them he was having second thoughts but Michelle told him he needed to stick to his plan and just do it. That to me is involuntary manslaughter.  I don't know what possesses a person to encourage somebody to kill themselves. If that were my friend or boyfriend I would be doing everything I could to stop them and probably trying to get them some help.

• This is insane! If I were the judge I would not drop the charges. I would get Carter mental help as soon as humanly possible! I agree with Caitlin and still believe he would be alive if she wasn't talking on the phone with him in the truck telling him to get back in or talking about suicide as lightheartedly as she did. If she truly loved him wouldn't she ask others for help? Carter had a life on her hands and she threw it away. Carter seems very manipulative in the fact that she could ever convince him to get back in his car. 

If one of my friends ever committed suicide I would encourage them to get help and possibly tell their parents. I would have their back and I wouldn't let them be farther than a phone call away from comfort.

• I agree with you that this is absolutely crazy! Carter definitely needs mental help, it sounds horrible, but I hope that she gets jail time. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker