Is The Meat-Packing Industry a Hidden Monopoly?

For years cattle ranchers along with other independent cattle producers across the US have called out the meat packing industry. Not much came out of the Covid pandemic but the meat packing industry was finally exposed. In 2020, reports and stories were being spread exposing the industry that has been hidden for decades. The meat packing industry is being controlled by 4 major coroporations. These include Tyson Foods, JBS, Cargill, and National Beef. Some say it's not a monopoly because it is split up. However, many people don't see all the hard work cattle producers do and how much they get screwed over.

Meat packers can make up to $400-$500 per head and sometimes up to $1,000 and purchase around 65,000 head a week. Do the math and thats $32,500,000 - $40,000,000 per week. They make all this money while cattle producers make an average of $655 dollars per head. This may seem like more, but people don't see all the work being done, the dead cattle that lose money for ranchers, the cost of vaccines, the cost to own land, and the cost to feed. 

I think the meat packing industry is a huge scam and something should be done about it. Laws are being pushed to stop all of this but it needs more exposure so people know the truth. My family has a few feedlots and we rasie cattle for a living but people don't know the work that goes into it, especially the meat packers. I hope laws are passed and independent cattle producers get their money's worth.

Do you think the meat packing industry is a hidden monopoly?

Do you think laws should be passed or more rules established?

Sources

https://www.natchitochestimes.com/2022/03/02/meat-processors-earn-record-profits-amid-price-increases-but-producers-feel-ground-down/

https://www.feedlotmagazine.com/news/cow_calf_corner/cow-calf-profitability-estimates-for-2021-and-2022/article_238bf19a-ab76-11ec-9d89-ef2b7030c883.html#:~:text=Weaning%20rate%20was%20estimated%20at,revenue%20is%20%24655%20per%20cow.

https://agamerica.com/blog/meatpacking-monopoly-legislative-updates/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• In my opinion the meat packing industry is a hidden monopoly. People don't know the work that goes into raising cattle. Cattle producers do hard work, Tyson Foods, JBS, Cargill, and National Beef screw over family packers. I also hope laws are passed for independent cattle producers to get their money's worth.

• I completely agree. These big companies are finally being exposed and laws are being pushed to help independent cattle producers all across the US. 

• I think that the meat packing industry very well could very well be a hidden monopoly, but I am not a meat producer so I will probably never find out. I do see all of the work you have to put in to raise the cattle and make sure that they are healthy so that they don’t suddenly die. My grandpa was a meat producer and I have overheard some of the struggles that come with raising cattle. For your sake, I hope they do pass the law to make you and your family's life easier in this business.

• I definitely agree and appreciate your support. My family gets along competely fine but there are many family's that don't and get screwed over by the big 4 wince they can't really go anywhere else. That is why I think it is a hidden monopoly.

• My dad has been in the meat-packing business for over 30 years, he is now a supervisor, and I see just how much work goes into the business. I'm not saying that cattle ranchers shouldn't get more money, but there is a lot more that goes into it than people think. My dad doesn't work for a kill plant or any of the big 4, but the company he works for is privately owned and tries to treat everyone as fairly as possible.  

• I understand where you are coming from. The big 4 are the ones that screw people over and they also control almost all of the industry which is not fair for people.

• I think that the meat packaging industry is a huge part of communities and economies. The quality of meat has a huge impact on cattle producers' profits. Being a meat packer is not an easy job; therefore, they deserve the profit. Where the meat/money goes from there is a different story. The four major corporations don't exactly help the cattle producers, they simply help the meat-packing plants.

•  I believe that the meat packaging industry does a good job of packing the meat right, and making lots of profit off the meat. It really just depends on the quality of the meat. Other than that packing meat seems like a laborious filled job, so whoever's doing it deserves the money they're making. 

• I think that the meat packaging industry is a huge part of communities and economies. The quality of meat has a huge impact on cattle producers' profits. Being a meat packer is not an easy job; therefore, they desevere the profit. Where the meat/money goes from there is a different story. The four major corporations don't exactly help the cattle producers, they simply help the meat-packing plants.

• I think that some meat packing plants who do a good job can make lots of money. I think that quality and the value of the meat has a good impact on the profit. Many hog processors can make money based on skill too. I think that many different jobs are good money makers just do a good job.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker