Is The Meat-Packing Industry a Hidden Monopoly?

For years cattle ranchers along with other independent cattle producers across the US have called out the meat packing industry. Not much came out of the Covid pandemic but the meat packing industry was finally exposed. In 2020, reports and stories were being spread exposing the industry that has been hidden for decades. The meat packing industry is being controlled by 4 major coroporations. These include Tyson Foods, JBS, Cargill, and National Beef. Some say it's not a monopoly because it is split up. However, many people don't see all the hard work cattle producers do and how much they get screwed over.

Meat packers can make up to $400-$500 per head and sometimes up to $1,000 and purchase around 65,000 head a week. Do the math and thats $32,500,000 - $40,000,000 per week. They make all this money while cattle producers make an average of $655 dollars per head. This may seem like more, but people don't see all the work being done, the dead cattle that lose money for ranchers, the cost of vaccines, the cost to own land, and the cost to feed. 

I think the meat packing industry is a huge scam and something should be done about it. Laws are being pushed to stop all of this but it needs more exposure so people know the truth. My family has a few feedlots and we rasie cattle for a living but people don't know the work that goes into it, especially the meat packers. I hope laws are passed and independent cattle producers get their money's worth.

Do you think the meat packing industry is a hidden monopoly?

Do you think laws should be passed or more rules established?

Sources

https://www.natchitochestimes.com/2022/03/02/meat-processors-earn-record-profits-amid-price-increases-but-producers-feel-ground-down/

https://www.feedlotmagazine.com/news/cow_calf_corner/cow-calf-profitability-estimates-for-2021-and-2022/article_238bf19a-ab76-11ec-9d89-ef2b7030c883.html#:~:text=Weaning%20rate%20was%20estimated%20at,revenue%20is%20%24655%20per%20cow.

https://agamerica.com/blog/meatpacking-monopoly-legislative-updates/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I see where you are coming from, but it is not fair how 4 major companies control almost all of the production and how they make up to 5x as much as the producers.

• In my opinion, I do not think that the meat packaging industry is a hidden monopoly because I think that the workers get paid the right amount of money. The meat packers do a gross job and they can help expand the economy. I think Iowa should establish more strick rules for this.

• Personally, I don't think the the meat industry is a hidden monopoly. It takes special skills, and iteams to butcher a cow and get their meat. If you would rather "save money" than people can just dicet a cow for themseleves. The people doing those deserve their money for their hard work, and safe food products for people. 

• I also do not think that the meat-packing industry is a hidden monopoly because people get paid the money that they deserve for the work that they do. There is one big reason that meat packing companies are not making a bunch of money off of packing meat. This is because being able to raise the animals takes a lot of money and the packing plats are not making that much.

• I do not believe that the meat packing industry is a hidden monopoly because there is a lot of time and work put into the owners of the meat. As well as the company packing it. I think they are getting paid close to what they should but not exact. 

• I dont htink that the meat oackaging industry is a hidden monopoly because I think that hey get paid the right amount of money. I think that the amount they get is what they deserve. the meat packagers do a lot of jobs for the econoy and if they were to go on strike or anything where would we buy meat. 

• I do not think that the meat packing industry is a hidden monopoly. I think they get paid the right amount of money that they deserve. Many people consume and buy meat and without them, there would be no meat to buy. The meat packers do a gross job and they can help exand the economy.

• I understand your reasoning but if the big 4 were broken up it could make the economy expand more and make it more fair for everyone in the end.

• I understand where you are coming from, but if 2 or 3 of them were to shut down many people would not be able to get meat becasue it is just one massive business.

• In my opinion, I think meat packing industry is not hidden monopoly. To me I think livestock owners get paid the right amount of money for the meat they bring in. Also it takes a lot of money and time to raise livestock.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker