Is Social Media Making Us Less Social?

Since the early 2000s, when social media first became popular, more and more people have become addicted to their cell phones. That addiction has limited in-person interaction due to the convenience of contacting people online. So, is social media making us less social? 

Social media is an internet-based form of communication. Social media platforms allow users to have conversations, share information, and create content. Social media has become one of the biggest forms of online communication. However, social media has its fair share of downsides. While it is an easy and efficient way to communicate online, it has damaging effects on a person’s face-to-face social skills. For example, online conversations limit the skill of being able to respond to social cues. This leads to less awareness of others’ needs that can only be received from in-person communication. Also, when humans are deprived of talking to others in person for a long time, we automatically develop a fear to involve in small talk. Many people now suffer from social anxiety due to not enough face-to-face interactions. 

I personally believe that social media has made humans less social. I constantly find myself scrolling through social media platforms for hours on end, before deciding to interact with my family. My parents struggle with this as well and are always looking for ways to limit screen time and get us to engage in conversations. As social media continues to evolve, I believe that its effect will only become worse on future generations. 

Overall, social media has both positive and negative effects on society. However, the negative effects certainly take a toll on the social skills of many. Social media plays a big role in our daily lives, but we must remember the importance of face-to-face interactions. 

What social media platforms do you use?

In your opinion, is social media a positive or negative platform?

Do you believe that social media has made people less social?

https://www.groupdiscussionideas.com/is-social-media-making-us-less-social/

https://steverosephd.com/is-social-media-making-us-less-social/

https://www.uopeople.edu/blog/how-social-media-affected-communication/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think social media is good and bad. I think its helpful that you can always reach someone when you need to. But it can be harmful to our social skills because were so use to texting that it would be hard to remember our good talking skills.  

• I think that social media has some good and bad things to it. I think that it is good because you can contact anyone you need right away, but I also think it is bad because it makes kids less vocal in person. It is still important to know how to talk to people in person.

• I think that social media is positive and negative. It's nice to be able to talk to your friends super fast and know what people are up to. But it would also be nice if people socialized in person more. 

• I agree, I think a lot of older generations prefer to socialize in person more, simply because it is easier than typing for them. However, younger generations prefer social media and online communication because it is convient for them. 

• I personally have many different social media platforms; I have snapchat, tik tok, instagram, facebook, twitter, and probably other apps as well. I believe that social media can be both positive and negative- it encourages people to be creative, but it can also cause people to compare themselves to others. I do think that social media has made people less social because they're so worried about what's happening online that they don't engage in the real world. 

• I agree. Social media can be very addicting and we could all probably spend hours scrolling. This disengages us from the rest of the world and we loose track of what is going on oustide of the screen. 

• I see snapchat, instagram, and tiktok. I think it could be postive and negative. It is a good way to keep people who live far away close. It could also cause cyber bulling though. I am not sure if it helps I think it des make us talk less in person though.

• I think that maybe due to the pandemic we became less social in general. If you use social media the right way, it can be a good platform to stay in contact with friends and be up to date. However, I still see the downsides of social media. In my view, it's about the way you use it. 

• The pandemic definelty made people less social and as a result we all turned to social media to communicate. I think this caused our social skills to decline even more. But now that the world has slowly opened back up, we are very stuck in our social media habits, which includes preferring to stay in than go out and socialize. 

• I usually just use instagram and snapchat. I personally think social media can be both positive and negative. Although theres a lot of negatives on social media there can be positives too, Like advertising your buisness, making real friends, and more. I do think social media is making people less social though since they can communicate through text or call instead of face to face. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker