Is Social Media Making Us Less Social?

Since the early 2000s, when social media first became popular, more and more people have become addicted to their cell phones. That addiction has limited in-person interaction due to the convenience of contacting people online. So, is social media making us less social? 

Social media is an internet-based form of communication. Social media platforms allow users to have conversations, share information, and create content. Social media has become one of the biggest forms of online communication. However, social media has its fair share of downsides. While it is an easy and efficient way to communicate online, it has damaging effects on a person’s face-to-face social skills. For example, online conversations limit the skill of being able to respond to social cues. This leads to less awareness of others’ needs that can only be received from in-person communication. Also, when humans are deprived of talking to others in person for a long time, we automatically develop a fear to involve in small talk. Many people now suffer from social anxiety due to not enough face-to-face interactions. 

I personally believe that social media has made humans less social. I constantly find myself scrolling through social media platforms for hours on end, before deciding to interact with my family. My parents struggle with this as well and are always looking for ways to limit screen time and get us to engage in conversations. As social media continues to evolve, I believe that its effect will only become worse on future generations. 

Overall, social media has both positive and negative effects on society. However, the negative effects certainly take a toll on the social skills of many. Social media plays a big role in our daily lives, but we must remember the importance of face-to-face interactions. 

What social media platforms do you use?

In your opinion, is social media a positive or negative platform?

Do you believe that social media has made people less social?

https://www.groupdiscussionideas.com/is-social-media-making-us-less-social/

https://steverosephd.com/is-social-media-making-us-less-social/

https://www.uopeople.edu/blog/how-social-media-affected-communication/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I use a couple social media platforms to scroll through when I am bored. I think that social media being good or bad really depends on how people use it. There are good and bad things about social media. I think people have become more social because they can talk on all of these new platforms and make new friends.

• I agree, social media allows people to make a ton of new friends and meet people across the globe. However, talking to someone online and talking to someone in person are very different. 

• I think that social media can be both a positive platform and a negative platform. I think that it can help some people with public talking or making new friends because of anxiety or other medical reasons. I also think that it can be negative because you can make fun of people and they might not know who you are because of a fake username or other stuff.

• I use a few social media platforms to scroll through when I am bored. I think that social media being good or bad really depends on how people use it. There are both good and bad things about social media. There is the chance that people have become less social because of social media because lots of people can spend hours on social media without even knowing it causing them to go out less.

• I agree. A lot of people would rather stay in and scroll on social media than go out and enjoy others' company. 

• I believe social media has both negative and positive effects. Overall I think the negative side overrides the positive side. Social media has defiantly made society a lot less social. People spend much more time on social media than socializing with others. 

• I agree. I think the majority of people spend more time inside on social media instead of interacting in-person. This creates a very large social deficit when it comes to interacting in the real world. 

• I use Snapchat and tik tok. I think that social media/phones is 100 percent making people less social. I think people hide behind screens a lot and waist a lot of there time. I feel that it's a negative platform. 

• The social media platform I personally use is just instagram, but that is not entirely my choice. What I mean is it's the only one I'm "aloud" to have. I personally think social media can be both positive and negative. Although theres a lot of negatives on social media there can be positives. Like, advertising your buisness, getting supported etc. I do think social media is making people less social, they just communicate through a phone and not face to face.

• I agree, there are some great ways to use social media. However, social media creates a barrier between a person and the real world and limits their conversations.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker