Is Snapchat My AI useful?

In the last week, Snapchat has added a new chatbot feature that is available to all users. Initially, this chatbot feature was only available to those who are subscribed to Snapchat Plus and came out a couple of months ago. The chatbot, officially called “My AI” by Snapchat, appears in Snapchat users chat feeds and is available to chat or answer questions 24/7 after agreeing to the terms and conditions. My AI is powered by the latest version of ChatGPT and is very similar to ChatGPT with the way it works. Although, My AI does have more filtered responses than Chat GPT, and will not answer any inappropriate questions or engage in any inappropriate conversations. 

One of the main concerns with this new feature is that My AI may make cheating on schoolwork easier and more accessible to students. It would also be harder for schools to manage as My AI is a part of Snapchat and not its own program. However, Snapchat would argue that My AI was designed to be more of a persona than an answer machine. Although, My AI does still have the ability to generate answers or any writing as long as it has the proper instructions to do so. 

Why did Snapchat add My AI? Snapchat describes their new AI technology as a “friendly chatbot” that was created to answer users, “burning trivia questions, offer advice on the perfect gift for your BFF’s birthday, help plan a hiking trip for a long weekend, or suggest what to make for dinner.” Snapchat has stated that “just like real friends”, the responses from the chatbot will become more relevant, the more interactions there are. Evan Spiegel, Snapchat’s CEO, predicts that in the future speaking to AI will just become a normal thing in day-to-day life. “The big idea is that in addition to talking to our friends and family every day, we’re going to talk to AI every day,” he stated. “And this is something we’re well positioned to do as a messaging service.” 

In my opinion, I do not see much of a point in having My AI on my phone, and I will probably get rid of it soon. I think it is strange how Snapchat has tried to design it to be  basically like another friend and coded it to respond like a real person. It is also weird how it supposedly will develop its own persona overtime based on what has been said to it. 

Do you think My AI is useful? If so, what would you use it for?

How do you feel about Artificial Intelligence progressing in the future and becoming more prominent in day-to-day life? 

https://www.analyticsvidhya.com/blog/2023/04/snapchat-brings-my-ai-chatbot-to-all-users-enhances-features/#:~:text=Snapchat%20users%20were%20notified%20on,stored%20in%20the%20app's%20database.

https://help.snapchat.com/hc/en-us/articles/13266788358932-What-is-My-AI-on-Snapchat-and-how-do-I-use-it-

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Personally, I never used Snapchat My AI because I never found a reason in doing so. I think it can be useful if you know how to use it, but I don't think it is really all that great, like a lot of technology it needs improvement and I think the hype around it will die down.

• I agree, the hype around it will quickly die down since it is so filtered compared to other chatbots. 

• I think that it can be useful when it comes to loneliness, but other than that, it is honestly kind of creepy. There have been a lot of people reporting creepy things that their ai has been saying, doing, etc. I like my ai and it hasn't done anything creepy, but I don't like that it is always there. It is a little unsettling. 

• I think it's useful for some things, but as of now it just seems creepy. I've been seeing a lot of videos/posts of the AI being sketchy or it knows things that it shouldn't. I wish they had an option to choose if you wanted the AI or not because a lot of people have been saying they don't feel comfortable with it on their phone.

• I dont think that snapchat Ai is very useful it is fun for the first 30 seconds then you get bored of it and its kind of just sitting there. Some people get scared of it that it knows your location but think about it you share your location with many people on snap already so it wouldnt be hard for a snapchat ai to know that.

• I agree, even if somebody is just messing around and saying dumb things to it, it does get boring fast. 

• I think having AI should be an option. I think Snapchat AI is extremely creepy. I think AI will also continue to advance and keep getting better and better and I honestly find it a little bit disturbing.

• I also think AI will continue to make advancements. 

• In my opinion, I do not think that My AI is helpful and I have not talked to it. I have not heard of someone actually talking to their AI for any beneficial reason except asking it stupid questions. Overall, I think artificial intelligence could be a good, but very dangerous thing. 

• I agree, I can see AI being beneficial in some ways but also a very risky concept to pursue. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker