Schools are required by state law to have annual drills in emergency situations. On March 4, 1908, the Lake View school in Collinwood, Ohio caught ablaze due to a furnace overheating. The teachers and staff remained calm and let the students talk among themselves as they exited. This was the worst school fire in history taking 172 students, 2 teachers, and 1 rescuer. Ever since then schools and other public buildings have been finding safer and easier ways to exit the building. Now schools teach their students that walking in a single file line and staying quiet is the best way out of the situation. Is this the best way though?

In case of a fire students are supposed to be quiet and listen to the teacher’s instructions. Line up at the door in a single file manner. Quietly walk outside the building until reaching a safe area. As well as in a tornado situation. It is taught to walk quietly to the designated area in the school.

I think that lining up in a single file line in a fire/tornado situation is a good way to get out of the school in a fire or get to a safe place. I think this because it allows the teachers and school staff to get everyone out safe. I also think that staying quiet really helps get everyone out of the situation much quicker than not. At first I thought that lining up was just a waste of valuable time but now it makes sense to me.

What do you think about walking in a single file line during an emergency?

Would you change the way the school has it now?

https://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/collinwood-disaster-fire-safety 

https://www.wikihow.com/React-to-a-Fire-Alarm-at-School-(Kids) 

https://emergency.vt.edu/ready/guides/building-fire/building-fireduring.html#:~:text=Never%20take%20an%20elevator%20when,and%20report%20where%20you%20are.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that walking together with your class allows organization and keeps everything less chaotic. I also agree that some students may have a hard time following this considering that they could be in a deadly situation.

• I think that waliking in a single file line doesn't help the students leave the school.  The only way I see this helping is if someone falls down, they won't get trampled. I think that schools have the emergency situation, I don't see how you could change it for the better. 

• I think that being in a single file line and having some order is a good idea. I think that it would help people not stray away from the group. It's more organized than having everyone just waltz toward the exit. If there were no structure to evacuation, then more people wouldn't know what to do.

• I agree that walking in a single file line will help keep each class together and it would be more organized. I also agree that if there is no plan to ecacuate nobody would know what to do. However if you were to be right next to the fire you have to get out of there into a safer place.

• I think that walking in a single file line is a good way to exit if their is an emergency. It is more organized and helps the teachers and the students to get out safe. I also think that it helps create less chaos which makes it easier to keep track of everyone. 

• I agree that walking in a single file line would be the most efective way in getting everyone out safely. I also agree that it makes it less chaotic and overall helps keep track of everyone. The least amount of chaos the less scared students would be.

• I do think that the line is beneficial but can be bad as well depending on the situation. Walking in the line will make it easier to keep track of the students and it is organized. But if the line is moving slower and not efficiently the students could get scared. I wouldn't change the way the school has it now. 

• I think that it is beneficial for the teachers, students, and their family. My reasoning is the fact that it helps the teacher keep everyone together and people not panic. I believe that if there wasn't order in an emergency, there would be chaos amongst the students.

• I agree that it is beneficial for everyone if students were to walk in a single file line. It does help the teachers keep their class together so they can get faster attendence and creates less panic. I also agree without order there would be mass chaos.

• I think that walking in a line or sigle file is benificial when there is an emergency because it helps people and classes stay in order and exit the building without everyone getting messed up. I think that if an emergency were to happen everyone wouldnt stay in a line and it would be chiotic. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker